world military spending (pic)

DeathSandwich

I think that chart is at least a little bit off since the Chinese undervalue their currency so much compared to the dollar. There's no way in hell the Russians could spend the same amount' date=' or nearly the same amount, as the Chinese do on defense even if they wanted to.[/quote']

This isn't the cold war days. Russia does not have the military they once had. Well let me correct that, they can not support the military they currently have.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think that you're able to sleep peacefully at night? Why do you think you're free to say the things you do? We spend the money because we need to. For us to be the biggest, baddest kids on the block we use technology. Technology = Less ground pounders, more saved lives, and more precise killing/targeting with less collateral damage.

+1 for the chinese 'accounting irregularity'. It's hard to quantify the cost of your army when you're a communist regime and employ soldiers who just happen to 'volunteer' their time... Don't think that we are so far ahead of them, they can hide billions and billions of 'costs' in other ways. Just as long as they never develop a navy, I can sleep at night...

more precise killing/targeting with less collateral damage

Not to drag this to the kitchen... but tell that to about 75,000 Iraqi civilians (you can find them in improvised graves).

I didn't know France had a military

I think it's funny when people make ignorant comments like this. Nevermind the fact that France has one of the oldest and most decorated special op's unit's in the world. Yes their military sucks as a whole but that doesn't mean I would say the French Foreign Legion isn't a formidable fighting force, then again it does consist mainly of non-french citizen's so your half right I suppose.

I would defend and justify my position, but I wouldn't try to act like a jackass while doing it...

Whats your clearance level oh Lord of the Ledger?

That's classified

And BTW, clearance level doesn't matter unless you are handling specific contracts or disbursing funds, neither of which I do. I monitor defense agencies making sure that they don't spend money on things that they are not supposed to and that their accounts stay in balance.

if only that much money and effort was spent on helping improve shit right here in our own country, like our schools, health care, manufacturing, immigration reform, retirement protection/SS, etc.....the things that affect those of us here keeping the country going, we might actually become the nation we once were.....oh and stop buying shit from China and outsourcing everything. I hate the fact that we are so damn Dependant on everyone else that we have to spend so much on trying to protect what we really shouldn't need oil and overseas labor, etc....

Appropriations are appropriations, nothing is going to get pulled from the defense budget to pay for something else. Plus, a large amount of those funds go directly back into our economy, think about the billions of dollars in payroll that goes to our soldiers, or all that procurement money that buys goods made here in the U.S.

BTW, the U.S. gov't spends more money on three things, all having to do with healthcare

Appropriations are appropriations, nothing is going to get pulled from the defense budget to pay for something else. Plus, a large amount of those funds go directly back into our economy, think about the billions of dollars in payroll that goes to our soldiers, or all that procurement money that buys goods made here in the U.S.

BTW, the U.S. gov't spends more money on three things, all having to do with healthcare

forget it

My older brother is going to Iraq in November for 15 months. If that graph needs to grow another threefold in order to bring him home safely (and everyone else over there) I wouldn't mind.

My brother in law is over there now for about another 10 months, and my cousin is going back for the second time in about 7 months. I know what you mean.

I think it's funny when people make ignorant comments like this. Nevermind the fact that France has one of the oldest and most decorated special op's unit's in the world. Yes their military sucks as a whole but that doesn't mean I would say the French Foreign Legion isn't a formidable fighting force, then again it does consist mainly of non-french citizen's so your half right I suppose.

It was a joke.

Appropriations are appropriations, nothing is going to get pulled from the defense budget to pay for something else.

that's a problem in itself, but overall, the powers that be seem to find so many ways to put us in debt without fixing anything it makes me sick.

Plus, a large amount of those funds go directly back into our economy, think about the billions of dollars in payroll that goes to our soldiers, or all that procurement money that buys goods made here in the U.S.

that's fine, but the underlying problem is that there's hardly anything made here. fuck even a fair amount of produce at our grocery stores come from outside the US.

BTW, the U.S. gov't spends more money on three things, all having to do with health care

they spend, spend, spend, but the system is still fucked up. ask them to fix it......in a way other than socialized health care. I don't need to pay any more of my earnings to help those that can't help themselves....but then if the education systems were fixed, there would be less worrying about having to help others.

that's a problem in itself, but overall, the powers that be seem to find so many ways to put us in debt without fixing anything it makes me sick.
that is why all defense agencies are Lean6, they can't cut back the appropriations until there is a surplus. Plus in civilian positions, in order to advance in a lot of Defense Agencies, you have to become greenbelt certified, in which you have to save $30,000 (monthly on average) on a day to day process

that's fine, but the underlying problem is that there's hardly anything made here. fuck even a fair amount of produce at our grocery stores come from outside the US.

There is plenty made here and DLA tries to buy as many American made products

they spend, spend, spend, but the system is still fucked up. ask them to fix it......in a way other than socialized health care. I don't need to pay any more of my earnings to help those that can't help themselves....but then if the education systems were fixed, there would be less worrying about having to help others.
I agree with you there, but that is a totally seperate issue than what is being discussed here

that is why all defense agencies are Lean6, they can't cut back the appropriations until there is a surplus. Plus in civilian positions, in order to advance in a lot of Defense Agencies, you have to become greenbelt certified, in which you have to save $30,000 (monthly on average) on a day to day process

the above may be valid and is certainly part of your world, not mine, but it seems our country is in so much debt over the Iraq thing that in the end we're the one who has lost / losing. IMO I think we could have protected ourselves by using all that money in other ways. it's not like terrorist have a navy to come attack our shores.

There is plenty made here and DLA tries to buy as many American made products

they may buy US born products, but the fact still stands, we are not the nation we once were. we buy, spend and rely more on others than we ever should. we need to shift back into being able to care for ourselves the right way. all the military spending in the world isn't going to fix that.

the above may be valid and is certainly part of your world, not mine, but it seems our country is in so much debt over the Iraq thing that in the end we're the one who has lost / losing. IMO I think we could have protected ourselves by using all that money in other ways. it's not like terrorist have a navy to come attack our shores.

they may buy US born products, but the fact still stands, we are not the nation we once were. we buy, spend and rely more on others than we ever should. we need to shift back into being able to care for ourselves the right way. all the military spending in the world isn't going to fix that.

I bet we could have built a big wall between the US and Mexico.

Im pissed... ive been pretty happy living in my complex for the last three years... but today, it was all ruined. In the one spot i normally park, not even close the the doors but in a little area of only 3 spaces, a busted ass passport, and a riced out civic are sitting in two of the spaces. Mind you, no one ever parks in those spaces. Low and behold, a swarm of Mexicans come pouring out of a 2nd floor apt, and pile up into the cars. They almost hit a lady, her daughter, and dog, without even bothering to slow down to appologize, they just kept right on going.

I was outside looking for my boost leak when they all came back and i confronted them. Not a one could speak a lick of english and tried to get the 9yr old to translate for them. ill tell you right now, this is how it starts.

Mind you, i am in no way racist, i have no problem with ANY ethnisity. What pisses me off is people who come to the country i live in, and cant have the common sence to be able to communicate, and show a total lack of respect for people by driving cars around like they are dune buggys.

Whoa whoa whoa, the DoD budget is not the Iraq budget... people are getting this confused, this budget runs every aspect of the DoD, salaries, research, new technologies, feeding the troops, but this is not the money allocated to Iraq. Also, our DoD budget isn't even the highest in the world against homeland GDP.

You keep saying use the money in other ways, and you really aren't getting the point, that money cannot be used in other ways, you cut budgeting and we fall behind, we lose soldiers, thousands of DoD employees lose their job. They have already implimented BRAC, which has caused many base closures over the years and consolidations in order to save money. The city of Whitehall wouldn't be here if it wasn't for DoD money. DSCC and their tenants combine for around 7000 employees, all paying city of Whitehall income taxes. The Columbus fought and fought for DSCC to not get Brac'd because of the hit our economy would have taken. Like I said, defense budgeting will not decrease until there is a surplus.

And I don't get what you mean by "it may be part of your world, but not mine". You are taking a statement of fact and blinding yourself to it to fit your opinions

The blame is on companies like Wal-Mart who drive American companies out of business to save a buck, not the U.S. gov't

I know....I can't believe it either. I'm glad to hear on the news lately that the gov't is beginning to crack down on employers hard. We need to round up every single illegal and ship them the fuck back! No questions asked. How our world has changed in the last 10-15 years. :cry:

I bet we could have built a big wall between the US and Mexico.

Im pissed... ive been pretty happy living in my complex for the last three years... but today, it was all ruined. In the one spot i normally park, not even close the the doors but in a little area of only 3 spaces, a busted ass passport, and a riced out civic are sitting in two of the spaces. Mind you, no one ever parks in those spaces. Low and behold, a swarm of Mexicans come pouring out of a 2nd floor apt, and pile up into the cars. They almost hit a lady, her daughter, and dog, without even bothering to slow down to appologize, they just kept right on going.

I was outside looking for my boost leak when they all came back and i confronted them. Not a one could speak a lick of english and tried to get the 9yr old to translate for them. ill tell you right now, this is how it starts.

Mind you, i am in no way racist, i have no problem with ANY ethnisity. What pisses me off is people who come to the country i live in, and cant have the common sence to be able to communicate, and show a total lack of respect for people by driving cars around like they are dune buggys.

The blame is on companies like Wal-Mart who drive American companies out of business to save a buck, not the U.S. gov't

it is the governments fault.....it started with the US-Canada Free Trade Agreement back in the late 80's and then led to NAFTA. Both directly led to the U.S. deindustrialization we see today. Mexico is the biggest winner in that shit.

it's no different with our allowing all the manufacturers to head overseas. China, Taiwan, Maylasia, and India all are benefiting far more than we are. We bitch because China and India are driving up costs of gas because they are on the path to riches that we are paving for them!

Wallmart and other companies are doing what they are allowed to do and it's not helping the overall economy. It begins as a manufacturing issue, not a wallmart/distribution issue.

The gov't needs to focus on how to provide manufacturers the same savings and keep the business here vs shipping it overseas. The risk of doing so are way too great. I stand by my conviction that manufacturing closer to home will always be a better solution for everyone overall. That's what we need to make happen.

However, the gov't is more interested in fighting a losing battle than fixing the problems right here at home. So much so, that even our own companies are taking their business overseas.

it is the governments fault.....it started with the US-Canada Free Trade Agreement back in the late 80's and then led to NAFTA. Both directly led to the U.S. deindustrialization we see today. Mexico is the biggest winner in that shit.

it's no different with our allowing all the manufacturers to head overseas. China, Taiwan, Maylasia, and India all are benefiting far more than we are. We bitch because China and India are driving up costs of gas because they are on the path to riches that we are paving for them!

Wallmart and other companies are doing what they are allowed to do and it's not helping the overall economy. It begins as a manufacturing issue, not a wallmart/distribution issue.

The gov't needs to focus on how to provide manufacturers the same savings and keep the business here vs shipping it overseas. The risk of doing so are way too great. I stand by my conviction that manufacturing closer to home will always be a better solution for everyone overall. That's what we need to make happen.

However, the gov't is more interested in fighting a losing battle than fixing the problems right here at home. So much so, that even our own companies are taking their business overseas.

Actually it is in the consumer's hand, not the govt's, that is how capitalism works. The American culture keeps pushing for faster and cheaper. Well labor isn't cheap enough here to make the items that want to be sold faster and cheaper, so the American retailers stop buying from those American producers and buy from the foreign, then the American producer no longer has business and they have to shut down, leaving only the overseas producer.

And yes it is a Wal Mart issue because they talk companies into contracts then undercut them and then they go out of business. Wal Mart is the death of the small American business, mark my words.

American producers need to wake up and up their quality standards and the American people need to be willing to spend a little more on it. It is all supply and demand.

The American people demand a cheaper product and the foreign countries can supply it. Tax breaks are going to do nothing when foreign workers work for 1/4 of the wage of an American worker