Trouble starting ( 5.0 Stang ).. fuel pump?

SamZman

Anyone..

My 91 GT now has 117K miles on it and periodically gives me problems starting..just cranks and cranks. It happened a while ago and I held the gas down and it started right up. I went ahead and tuned it up since it was due, new plugs, cap/rotor button.

I'm assuming the problem is fuel, but last time it just cranked I just hit the schraeder valve and I atleast had some fuel pressure. I took the coil wire off cleaned up coil a bit and it started right up. Happened again and holding gas down and nothing. Took dist cap off to take a look, put it back on and it started right up. I'm having a hard time nailing it down cause it works most of the time. I've noticed lately at full throttle it wants to cut out at high rpm..

All this sound like a fuel pump? I think fiddling w/ the cap/coild wire,etc is just a coincidence? I'm sure plenty of people here w/ 5.0's know the symptoms for duel pumps? If it is the fuel pump any suggestions on where/which to buy? This is more of just a daily drive car with simple bolt ons..

Oh and my check engine light is on and I haven't been able to check it yet. The Haynes manual gives directions to use a volt meter.. this the best/easiest way?

Thanks for any help!

Take it to advance auto or autozone and have them run the codes if you don't know how... I got a scan tool from jc whitney for like 18.00 that works sweet.

They will also test your TFI module for you for free which is my guess... its on the side of your distributor.

I did go to Advance and they told me they arent able to scan it cause it's too old. . You've had your fox scanned there?

I'm really starting to think it's the fuel pump. I've noticed now that if it wont start I'll turn the key back and forth letting the fuel pump prime a bunch and it wants to start..

gm and ford fittings are different

I can bring my good scanner (the connector is on the driver side shock tower with a little cap on it that says eec test or diagnostic) and my fuel pressure guage home (fitting is on the high pressure line behind the alternator)from work saturday if you would like to use them, or you could stop by ntb and pick them up, I'd just need them back by sunday evening lemme know

Yeah- autozone in westerville scanned mine for me before I got my scan tool...

ask about the TFI while you are there.

Also- you say sometimes you turn the key and hear it prime and other times you do not? Have you messed with your seats lately, had it rained on with the windows down? Could be a fuel pump relay...

Have someone turn the key to on not crank while you sit back by the tank and make sure it primes every time- you should hear a whirr even with a stock pump... mine is about deafening now with my 255 inline and 255 in tank.

yes check the relay under the seat, and check for the fuel pump priming, also check the pressure at the schrader valve.

aftermarket pumps are cheap you get a 190lph bbk for cheap at jegs.. or here is an auction for one on ebay for $50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-97-Mustang-HP-fuel-pump-BBK-190-lph-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ014QQitemZ330157675010QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

are you being sarcastic? 1 hour? I wouldn't say it is as tough as an f-body but you still have to take your tailpipes loose, disconnect the fuel lines with the proper tool, drop the tank without messing up your fill tube, get the pump out, wire/crimp/solder the new one and get it back in there in the proper orientation, then put the tank back up centered with the two straps and get the fill tube back in the side with your fourth arm. You need balance, a floor jack and some upper body strength.

Thanks again guys. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is just weak. I may have said it wrong earlier, but the fuel does prime every time I turn the key. I notice now when it doesnt start I'll turn the key back and forth to let the fuel pump prime several times then it starts up.

Are there any tricks to doing the fuel pump? Any suggestions on which pump to get since I'll be keeping it pretty stock? Just go to Napa or Autozone?

And thanks, Dave for the scan. I think I'm gonna go ahead and do the fuel pump this weekend. I may bug you about a scan afterwards if the light stays on (which I think it will..) Unless you think that's backwards and I should definitely do a scan first?

ive done a few of them.. i guess it just doesnt seem that hard to me

It is not awful but if a guy did it in 1 hour from the car on the ground and back to the ground the first time I would be quite impressed.

you are correct, the second time I dropped the tank for the inline pump it went much easier- but getting that fill tube out of there the first time until you see which way to leverage it/move it is a B#@R%, also after adding never seize to those strap bolts or just breaking them loose the first time you did it makes it a hell of a lot easier to remove as well ;-)

Laters,

Andrew

well first off run as much gas out of the tank as possible.

try too spray some penetrating lubricant near the bolts.

and yes the fill tube is a bitch

if you have a tranny jack youll be way better off than most its easier to lower the tank as well as putting it back in its place.

as far as wiht the tank out, there is a ring that is usually rusted and hard to get off, spray a little pb blaster on it let it soak for a few, then come back and attempt it. you can get a tool for it, but a blunt flat punch, or screw driver.. and hammer will work fine. make sure when you are installing that the sock filter doesnt come off.

hpfiend, yeah the first time was a little long, then time after time it got easier, especially on batter condition foxes or foxes that had the tank previously dropped before. but after you do so many its like 2nd nature.

scan it first!!!!! especially if it throwing a code with a light- get a paperclip and jump the terminals and count flashes or use the voltmeter same thing- I thought you had already scanned it....

Unless you have an itch to gamble guessing gets quite frustrating and expensive quickly. EECIV is your friend.