Almost Had A Car Fire This Morning

Wease

Going to work this morning, I'm along Riverside near the zoo driving the '86. I smell something burning, then my radio starts cutting in and out. I pull into the new zoo entrance and the car dies. I get out and sure enough, there is smoke coming out from under the hood, just a little bit. I pop the hood and my alternator is on fire. :eek: Not like huge crazy flames, but just a small flame. I don't have anything to disconnect the battery and I didn't want it to get worse, so I called 911 and had the fire department come out. They disconnected it and all is well. Just need a new alternator now. :p

I have no idea what could have caused it. I just put a new battery in the car, and don't run any powerful stereo equipment or anything. I'm pretty sure it's the original alternator though. And it's a 21 year old car. So who knows... :confused:

The main harness on the alternator is known to cause fires in foxbodies. You get a new 3 wire harness at most autoparts stores when you buy the premium alternator. Either way, you need to replace that 3 wire harness or there could be another fire.

-Mike

The main harness on the alternator is known to cause fires in foxbodies. You get a new 3 wire harness at most autoparts stores when you buy the premium alternator. Either way, you need to replace that 3 wire harness or there could be another fire.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll make sure I replace that as well. I hope that's all the problem was... :)

change it to a late model alternator

you need the 140a style alt from a tuarus or sable

and a dremel tool to clearance the bracket some

I also have the stock alternator from my 90 if yours is hosed your welcome to it you can buy the plug at napa

So just getting a replacement one for my make/model at Autozone or the like is no good? :confused: