The New guy

McGraw

Hello guys,

So for those who know me, hi.

For those who do not:

I'm on my way back from Deployment and have been stationed out in Bremerton, WA. I'm 23 years old. I sold the Monte, sold my Celica, and am now looking at putting some deployment money to a bike. However I've never riden before and people assure me I'll love it. I don't want to go in completely blind as I am now, and when I thought of how to get some info, with minimal bullshit responses. As always, CR.

I'm looking at getting a Suzuki GSXR 600 (?). But again I'm a beginner, and generally know my limits, but have a heavy foot in cars. And would rather not kill myself on a bike, but have something I can learn on, that can take some abuse, and to toy with on occasion.

Any help you guys/gals can give as far as websites, learning material, pointers and tips would be REALLY appreciated especially about the bikes themselves, I trust you over all more than just about anyone else.

Thanks!

IMHO, a newer GSX-R600 is pretty damn fast if you're new to motorcycles. I cut my teeth years ago on a 440cc Kawasaki, and it scared the hell out of me the first few times I rode it. (And I'm 6'3, 300lbs... and it was REALLY slow.)

The GSXR is a great bike handling wise too; it inspires those confident feelings about your riding skills. Don't let it fool you. Even though I think just about any newer 600 is a bit too fast for a beginner, the high maneuverability of these bikes can make them pretty dangerous too. They're pretty easy to highside during an emergency swerve.

That all being said, if you ride it with respect until you become skilled enough to handle the situations that riding may throw at you; you should be just fine. And don't let me scare you; I know some guys that started out on ZX-11s way back when... and they all lived to tell about it. :)

The best way to learn is to go through the safety course. You get your bike license at the end of the course also, which is nice.

Having said that, I bought a '90 Katana 600 in '94 and just started riding. A couple close calls. Moved up to a 99 Ninja 600. Then a Honda 919. Then, had enough of going so fast, and got a 1500 Mean Streak.

I can't imagine learning on today's 600 class bikes.

I have to agree with Vince.

I am completely new to riding as well. I bought an old Honda CB650. Just something to get me started. Its slow as sin and that just the way I like it.

I plan on getting a newer bike next year, but a cruiser. No way would I get a newer crotch rocket until I have a few years of riding under my belt.

Good luck with the bike buying.

Hey man, i'm the one who bought ur monte carlo last summer. sorry to say i dont have it anymore b/c i sold it. anyways heres a bike that i was planning on selling.

I got an 05 kawa 636 w/ candy plasma blue paint and an underseat 2brothers exhaust. around 4k miles.. FOR SALE.. pm me for details

http://www.sportbikes.net, and if youre looking at gixxers, http://www.gixxer.com. Be ready to get a ration of shit about being a squid, but just read around and you find what your looking for. Personally, i'd say go with a 01-03 gsx-r 600. good power, but not high strung, great handling, and a blast to ride, on top of that you can grow into this bike and learn to exploit it once you get the basics down. i had an 03 and i fucking loved it, if it hadn't have been stolen, id still be rockin it. hope this helps...

Hello guys,

So for those who know me, hi.

For those who do not:

I'm on my way back from Deployment and have been stationed out in Bremerton, WA. I'm 23 years old. I sold the Monte, sold my Celica, and am now looking at putting some deployment money to a bike. However I've never riden before and people assure me I'll love it. I don't want to go in completely blind as I am now, and when I thought of how to get some info, with minimal bullshit responses. As always, CR.

I'm looking at getting a Suzuki GSXR 600 (?). But again I'm a beginner, and generally know my limits, but have a heavy foot in cars. And would rather not kill myself on a bike, but have something I can learn on, that can take some abuse, and to toy with on occasion.

Any help you guys/gals can give as far as websites, learning material, pointers and tips would be REALLY appreciated especially about the bikes themselves, I trust you over all more than just about anyone else.

Thanks!

quit being a pussy look at my very first bike but its funnnnnnn lol