Need Help With 5.0 Alternator Install

Wease

OK, my alternator burned out the other day and I'm trying to replace it. However, the three wire harness on it was also burned up, and so were a good chunk of the wires, so I'm not sure what goes where. To make matters worse, what I have in the old harness doesn't match up with the new harness. The new three wire harness looks like this:

http://www.wease.net/86/NewHarness.JPG

Two orange/black wires and a smaller white/black one.

But I only have two wires going to the old harness in the car, the are both orange and black:

http://www.wease.net/86/OldWires.JPG

It looks as though no smaller wire was going to that harness. But in that same wire loom, there is a yellow wire that goes to the fender, probably a ground. But that wire was NOT going into the old harness.

Any idea what I should do and what goes where? I was looking at this wiring diagram, but I don't know if that helps me any. Any thoughts from you Fox Body guys? Keep in mind, I just bought a refurbed alternator from Advanced, this not an aftermarket one... :)

you can buy a new harness end. sometimes they come with the alt!

they have issue with that!

I have the new harness, that's what's in the first picture. The wires going to the old harness, that's the issue. There are two, where it looks like I need three. Plus I don't know which goes to what part of the harness.

strip it back farther...the white wire should be there! it just got burnt up.

the 2 black wires really dont matter.

OK, I've pulled it all the way back and no other wire. Yet on another forum, some guy looked at his '86 and he's got just two wires going into that harness; one goes to the voltage regulator and one to the battery. So I'm guessing I just hook them up like that and I should be good to go....

Guest Removed
OK, I've pulled it all the way back and no other wire. Yet on another forum, some guy looked at his '86 and he's got just two wires going into that harness; one goes to the voltage regulator and one to the battery. So I'm guessing I just hook them up like that and I should be good to go....

i forgot about that...some dont have that wires...oop's my bad!

im thinking that wire is for the gauge!