Anyone have kids or went to Hilliard schools personally?

Bam

I'm in the process of buying my first home and have to consider my 2 y/o daughter when doing so because she'll be starting school in a few years. While searching for houses in our price range, we came up Hilliard and found a few homes we like in a good area/location and fairly close to schools.

I'm looking for input both from recent graduates (past 5 years), current students and also from parents who's children current or have attended any Hilliard school.

Just from the brief look into things it appears hilliard schools are overcrowded and they don't have enough schools for the kids. Maybe its like this in other areas, but I'm not sure as I haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks for any helpful input.

Matt

I went to Hilliard my whole life from kindergarten until I graduated from Hilliard Darby in '05. Pretty decent schools, but the crowdedness really started to piss me off in high school. They are finally building a 3rd high school off Walker Rd but it won't be open for a couple more years.

Hilliard is a nice place to live, except everything is too fucking crowded. Not just the schools, but all the damn construction going on because they were too stupid to build bigger roads 5-10 years ago when they should've. The rush hour traffic is beyond ridiculous.

It's not the greatest place to live, but you could do A LOT worse.

They sure tax us enough, Hilliard schools should be in the Ivy League or some crap. Overcrowding is definitely going to be a problem since there are so many 'first home buyers' aka new parents moving to Hilliard to escape the urban blight of Columbus. Up until recently Hilliard schools were very well regarded (ask any Realtor) but the demographics in the area are changing quick and we may not have that distinction for very long.

5 generations of my family have lived in Hilliard. I've watched it change into what it is today. 7 years ago we chose to build our first house in GC for several reasons and the major reason being how "fake" Hilliard has become. It's like they are always trying to keep up with Dublin. Part of the problem is you have people from every level of income. $100k houses up to Millions. The Doctor who is my current neighbor is in responsible for ensuring proper procedures are followed in the Hilliard school district. It's a mess. He doesn't even want to live in Hilliard. Sad.

If we were not moving to Florida our next move was going to be more of a small town setting, like Plain City, Marysville, Delaware etc...

I dont know if i would consider Delaware a small town. but i live in the sticks and it is alot nicer having neighbors a few hundred feet away instead of 20. delaware city now has 4 levels of school. elementary is k-4, 5th and 6th are at willis, 7th and 8th are dempsey and 9-12 are still hayes. I dont know if i could subject my kids to a school district so crowded that they have multiple high schools. olentangy, dublin, hilliard. i want my kids to have lots of friends, i just dont think putting them in a school with thousands is the way to do it.

I went to Hilliard High (that's what it was called then) graduated in 1991. My son went to Darby Creek for K and 1 and goes to Brown for 2nd. From the parenting side K - 5 at hilliard is a dream. Very well run in school programs, loads of parent support and the staff is easy to engage. Plus, after a background check, you can helpout in the school if you want so they don't have any secrets.

The district has had trouble keeping up with growth for the secondary education, too many people. They are building the 3rd high school right by my house and it will probably ruin my township but I guess it is needed.

I dont know if i would consider Delaware a small town. but i live in the sticks and it is alot nicer having neighbors a few hundred feet away instead of 20.

I agree. I love where I live. No neighbor's, very quiet, etc. And Delaware city it pretty decent sized. The town itself though has that "older" feel to it. And you could move to Delaware county and be in any of the 5 school disctricts: Delaware Hayes, Big Walnut, Olentangy, Olentangy Liberty, or Buckeye Valley... :nod:

Columbus Monthly comes out with an annual issue about the top school districts/high schools in columbus. That might be a good reference for what your looking for.

I graduated from Worthington Kilbourne in 02 and at the time the top three high schools were New Albany, Kilbourne and UA.