Big Ten Network

ShoMeSomeFun

However, Big Ten network is great for someone like me: a fan of a "non-premium" team (Illinois) that would allow me to watch more Illinois games on the network. I think Illinois has had maybe 1 football game per year on regular TV in the 6 years that I have lived in Columbus, and that includes the year they won the Big Ten.

The Big Ten network will also show all the coaches shows, plus CCHA hockey. I think the channel is a great idea *in theory*, but I think the BTN and the cable companies need to get the sand out of their vaginas, and stop holding the fans hostage.

Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be in the offices of either the BTN or the cable companies on the first day that fans won't be able to see games. Fortunately for me, the first Illinois game is versus Missouri and will be on ESPN2!

I think the cable companies are right

The Big Ten wants $1.10 per month per home year-round. Additionally, the network wants 10 cents for every home with cable service in America outside the eight-state region. An article that a appeared in the June 23 issue of the New York Times put the value of that arrangement at 244 million dollars per year.

Silverman has said publicly that the 1.10 number is negotiable, but that the network will insist on being carried on expanded cable. We don't blame him. That arrangement would guarantee the network tremendous cash flow whether anyone is watching or not. Money comes in simply because the network exists as a selection on your cable box. It doesn't matter if anyone is watching, the money still comes in simply because it is a selection.

EXACT same thing WOW is dealing with. We are still trying to negotiate as well, but are dealing with the same crap as Warner. We heard Insight has pulled out of negotiations totally.

Not only do they want to charge $1.10/customer, they also want to force us to put it on the regular basic programming. Basic analog channels take up a lot of bandwidth, the same bandwidth can hold a number of digital channels.

Like that article said, because there is a stake in it with Direct TV, they get a good deal on it. Of course they won't offer any similar deal with any of the cable companies.

What we want: put it on a digital channel and be charged a reasonable rate for it. Is that too much to ask for?

Thanks for posting this Joe, all I ever hear on the news is what TW is doing. As if there are no other cable companies in existence..... I hope it doesn't get picked up. That way it goes under.....

They must have been playing the misinformation game.

But I wouldn't go so far as Insight rocks; at this point they will do any desperate measure possible to get customers, as they aren't doing well at all. There are strong rumors of them selling what remains of them after their deal with Comcast is finished.

Insight still blows, were still having problems with our cable box though I'm glad their going to have the BTN so I can watch the games at home if I want to.

Never had 1 issue with Insight. I priced around and still got the best deal with them

Never had 1 issue with Insight. I priced around and still got the best deal with them

Our cable box is junk, it's constantly lagging and not responding. They've given it software updates and flashes or something, nothing works and they won't replace the damn thing the cheap fucks.