Lane splitting on 10 in la

thorne

I remember sitting in LA gridlocked traffic for the first time, and having the living shit scared out of me when I bike damn near tore my arm off. It's legal there, I guess, but I didn't know it at the time. I pulled my arm back in real quick, though.

I see that shit all the time when I'm out there. If they only knew how many of us NYC taught drivers were on the road with them.....I can't tell you how many times I've pulled a Manhattan lane change and not even remembered to look for a bike snaking through traffic. They and me have been lucky so far. :(:rolleyes:

I remember sitting in LA gridlocked traffic for the first time, and having the living shit scared out of me when I bike damn near tore my arm off. It's legal there, I guess, but I didn't know it at the time. I pulled my arm back in real quick, though.

The same thing happened to me in San Diego.

Guest hotrodmama024
Thats where i learned how to drive. Shit is scary to me now if i go out there. If you are not going 90 mph on some freeways you will get run over. Its nutz!

Born and raised in San Diego, so that kinda stuff is not new to me, though with how that guy was doing it he would have been pulled over in a CHP saw him simply because the biker's speed can't be over 35 when doing the lanesplitting(it's legal to allow bikers to just go fowards in stop and go traffic and have them be in less danger)

lane splitting is not really that dangerous. dunno why people seem to think it is though...

seriously though, any major city you go to, anywhere else in the world, and lane splitting is the norm.

the biggest danger with it here is toothless joe redneck who thinks "fuck that guy on a bike... if i have to sit in this traffic so does he" and tries to open a door on you :rolleyes:

impatience... i kinda think thats the reason no one uses turn signals in columbus IMO. if you do, the asshole behind you will try to close the door and not let you in.

god forbid someone gets where they are going 10 seconds before you get where you are going :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

the biggest danger with it here is toothless joe redneck who thinks "fuck that guy on a bike... if i have to sit in this traffic so does he" and tries to open a door on you :rolleyes:

I have all my teeth and I am far from a redneck, but what makes you so special that you just have to lane split and blow by everyone else who's patiently doing what can't be avoided? Just because you have a bike makes you special? Sit back, enjoy the weather and wait like everyone else.

impatience... i kinda think thats the reason no one uses turn signals in columbus IMO. if you do, the asshole behind you will try to close the door and not let you in.

You mean impatient like the bikers who lane cut to break through traffic jambs just so they don't have to wait longer than everyone else on the highways/roads?

god forbid someone gets where they are going 10 seconds before you get where you are going :rolleyes:

Exactly, so why lane cut if you're only going to get there 10 seconds before the other guy?

I have all my teeth and I am far from a redneck, but what makes you so special that you just have to lane split and blow by everyone else who's patiently doing what can't be avoided? Just because you have a bike makes you special? Sit back, enjoy the weather and wait like everyone else.

you miss the point. the point is, the fact that someone would be willing to seriously injure or even kill another person, just because they passed them in traffic, is appaling. a person who would consider injuring or killing someone, over something so trivial, is deplorable.

You mean impatient like the bikers who lane cut to break through traffic jambs just so they don't have to wait longer than everyone else on the highways/roads?

dont you see that if there are less bikes in the way, then that equals less vehicles on the road which equals less traffic? its beneficial for everyone else... you can sit there on your bike taking up space, or you can GTFO and open that space up.

Exactly, so why lane cut if you're only going to get there 10 seconds before the other guy?

again, point missed. in LA, a 45 minute trip by car can be reduced to a 15 minute trip on a bike.

the 10 seconds was just an example of how impatient people are. people will pull right out in front of you, when you are the last car in a line of traffic... they will go around someone making a left, when, if they just waited a few seconds, that car will have made its turn and they can be on their way. when someone signals to get over, the person behind them speeds up so they cant get over :rolleyes: this is the kind of impatience i was talking about with the 10 seconds...

i cant tell how many times ive been cut off by someone, or have them fly by me at 90, only to end up behind them at a light 10 minutes later.