1990 Chevy Cavalier headlight issue

I recently just acquired a 1990 Chevy Cavalier as stated in the headline. It's a 2.2L inline four. This car is only used for strictly to and from work and nothing more so this issue isn't a huge deal but just more of a headache.

It is by definition a beater but a car never-the-less. There is only one problem that has plagued me. If I get off work late and have to drive at night after a little while into the trip the headlights just flicker on and off with no apparent rhyme nor reason. Just out of nowhere they go mad. It's not like a set timing, it can be after half an hour of driving or thirty seconds.

I have checked the fuses and lights and they are all fine, the battery is new. I'm assuming this is just a bad ground but even if it is I don't know how to check for even that and I don't know how to even fix that. (I apologize for such a n00b question.) The tail lights/running(parking) lights do not experience this problem. It's strictly the headlights.

It does it regardless of being high beams or low. They just start freaking out, if I turn just the running lights on and then pull it back out so that the headlights are turned back on it will fix it temporarily (But sometimes only lasting maybe a block at best).

I have a video of the problem, but I highly doubt that will add anything.

I'm just trying to diagnosis this problem and hopefully figure out how to fix this dumb delima. I picked this car up for 500 dollars so I wasn't expecting much but headlights are important, I've already been pulled over once for it. I just want this headache done with.

TIA

- David.

Are these HIDs? If so, failing ballasts can cause a flickering or strobe effect.

THen again, looking again at the year and model, probably not.

Are the headlight controls on a stalk? I've had older cars where the wires at teh base of a control stalk started shorting out. That made for some odd happenings.

Otherwise, I'd do what you first though, and check the ground for the headlights. And you might even try swapping out the bulbs and relays to narrow down the issue.

You can also try replicating what 's causing the flickering itself. Does it happen over bumps? Try juggling the headlight housings, or other parts. That may lead you to the part causing the problem..