Let's play, "Guess what's in my oil pan." -56KW-

lcz06

why would i be high? if you took your car in for an oil change and came back and they said "oh, your tires seemed to be low on the tread, so we replaced all 4 and did an alignment, that will be 550$", would YOU pay for those tires? no the fuck you wouldnt

This has what relevance to this thread ?

So just when I was beginning to accept the high bill I was going to pay, Jeff calls me and says, “Your clutch is done and so is they fly wheel.” :wtf: That wasn’t even the reasoning for dropping the motor in the first place. I’m waiting on pictures from him as I haven’t had time to go down and look.

I was after hearing I needed to have the motor pulled going to upgrade the heads and cam but looks like I’ll be spending the money on a new clutch.

But one thing is I never had any clutch issues or slips so I’m still trying to understand how my clutch is done for. This sucks…

I used to race the shit out of my Z24... do 4,000rpm dumps and all... and not once did my clutch ever slip... it made a wierd grinding noise for the first couple of feet but that was it... As it turned out, the clutch was 100% gone, and i was actully running metal on metal, and you could see burn marks on the flywheel from where it got so hot, it actully welded itself together in between gears.

why would i be high? if you took your car in for an oil change and came back and they said "oh, your tires seemed to be low on the tread, so we replaced all 4 and did an alignment, that will be 550$", would YOU pay for those tires? no the fuck you wouldnt

I do believe you have missread what was said.

If you take your car to a shop one way or another, you will end up paying the said ammount. Granted circumstances may arrise, but 9 times out of 10 you will pay what price is given after said service is done. Shops are a business, and nothing is free, if that were true Goodwill would open up a shop.

I'm not always believe 100% of anything anyone tells me, but like a butcher, I'll take his word for it rather than sticking my head up a cow's ass. If most shops weren't in anyway shape or form professional, they won't last.

If we were dishonest and just out to make a buck I wouldnt have said a word about the clutch and just put it back in as-is. Two weeks from now when it lets go completely we then get paid to do the work twice and he still has to buy a clutch and fly. Which would you prefer?

Just for the record, Shawns car has had poor oil pressure issues all summer so the clutch hasnt had a single opportunity to slip yet. Even a dead clutch (and his is dead dead) will hold fine if you are in "Daily" mode 24/7.

Jeff

If we were dishonest and just out to make a buck I wouldnt have said a word about the clutch and just put it back in as-is. Two weeks from now when it lets go completely we then get paid to do the work twice and he still has to buy a clutch and fly. Which would you prefer?

Just for the record, Shawns car has had poor oil pressure issues all summer so the clutch hasnt had a single opportunity to slip yet. Even a dead clutch (and his is dead dead) will hold fine if you are in "Daily" mode 24/7.

Jeff

:thumbup: Don't get quality like that at midas, or a Joe Schmoe dealership. People who do it themselves find out if they jack something up, and screw up a part, 98% of vendors don't honestly like dealing with customers 1 on 1. (PS I saw nobody bitching, kinda related to the subject. Most people always want a break or a cut somewhere)

Let me clean this thread up a little, I have been a customer of ips for a long time. Even before they went into their new shop. I must say my overall experience has been a pleasant one as there were issues in the past that came up and Jeff always gave me no bull shit around, “will take care of it” answer. There have been some minor problems (as there will always be with high performance cars) but they stand by their work. Even on labor day when he had plans Jeff agreed to let me drop off the car since it was the only day I could do so. So the level of customer service imop is excellent and so is their work. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35097

After rereading my original post I should have worded things different as it was not my intention to point blame at ips in any shape or form. And Jeff is correct I have been dealing with oil pressure issues all summer and little dumb annoying problems to where I really only raced once this year. And I’ve been going very easy on the car because of these issues as I really don’t want to foot the bill on a rebuild right now especially since I just recently purchased the vehicle. All this is cheap imop verses a complete motor rebuild so in turn i'm saving me some $$ for later on. My clutch would have broke anyways once I started racing.

Also Gearhead(Rob) it is in fact the correct clutch and flywheel. The thought of Jeff (or someone from ips) switching out my flywheel and clutch for another ls1’s never crossed my mind and could never see anything like that happening. I have a Textralia OZ700 clutch and is supposed to be rated to 650-700 rear wheel horsepower. But here is a picture of my flywheel….

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4540/shawnflywheelyu0.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6290/shawnflywheel3nu6.jpg

And here is a picture of my flywheel brand new….

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8656/dsc00009ll3.jpg

My Clutch

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9537/shawndiscxi7.jpg

My Clutch brand new

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1885/dsc00007kt3.jpg

The pressure plate is in fact yellow also. What bothers me is why a clutch that is rated to 700 rwhp looks that awful? Not really sure what would cause it to look like that as my car is only rated to 500rwhp as it sits. Unless the original owner ran nitrous and removed it before selling. It’s hard to say but it’s clear I’m going to need a new clutch. Any clutch/flywheel recommendations anyone? Also thanks for everyone’s input. Thinking about getting a spec or Centerforce.

I'll get word on my motor tomorrow...

Shawn, this is one of the issues alot of people will run into when you buy a modded car. Unless you knew the owner and knew what he did with the car, you will never know how the car was ran/driven. Hell all you know is the previous owner might have been 6k clutch dumps in front of his house every day. But there is nothing you can do about that. IPS will take care of you and would never steer you wrong, I have alot of faith that they will have you up and runnin in no time. You gotta remember that this is part of the life of having a high hp car. Shit is gonna break and you gotta live with it. The best saying is, a car will run its best when they are bone stock and left alone.... But fuck thats no fun.. :)

I've seen that kind of clutch wear before, albeit not on a LSx anything. That looks like somebody has been leaving their foot on the clutch pedal, causing a tiny amount of slip. Just the littlest amount of pressure will do it, most people don't even realize they are touching the pedal. Dunno if that's the case with you, but maybe the previous owner did it.

Hope you get your motor all sorted out.

I love my Spec stage3+ clutch, Id give em a :thumbup:

I think I might go with a spec as I been hearing very good things about them. Exp on vettes. Just have to figure out what flywheel to go with it?

I like the Mcleod street twin disks for higher HP vettes, they cost more but are very very streetable, like stock pedal effort and not grabby at all, and hold a TON of power. It takes care of the clutch/flywheel in one purchase as well.

Do yourself a favor, go with a multiple disc clutch. Drivability will be tolerable vs. a puck clutch and it will hold all the power you can throw at it. I hear the tiltons are the way to go.

Good luck with your project, and I am deeply sorry to hear/see what happened to your car.

Jackson