ever heard 60 Mustangs with wide open pipes?

leez

nope...not the cars, I'm talking about the US Air Force's incredible P-51 Mustangs of WW2...

There will be more than 60 of them at a huge "fly-in" at Rickenbacker on the weekend of September 27th-30th...+ other exhibitions like the USAF Thunderbirds Aerobatics team...

If you've ever heard an unlimited class hydroplane's V-16 then you know what these babies sound like cause it's the same engine...now multiply that by 50....

The "fly-in" is probably a once in a life time deal, for C-bus & there will never be this many Stangs assembled in one place again...

it's no wonder that the Hot Rod culture was started by fighter pilots returning from WW2....

If you've ever heard an unlimited class hydroplane's V-16 then you know what these babies sound like cause it's the same engine...now multiply that by 50....

I plan on being there.

But just an FYI;

The P-51 came with the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12, not a V-16. Put's out 2,000hp.

:D

p.s. IIRC, they also started off with a different engine or two, though I don't think any of them were V-16s. The Merlin was the most widely used though.

I plan on being there.

But just an FYI;

p.s. IIRC, they also started off with a different engine or two, though I don't think any of them were V-16s. The Merlin was the most widely used though.

Have you ever seen inside one of the Merlins?

Makes you wonder WTF!

I will be there for sure.

As for the unlimited hydroplanes.... Rent the movie "Miss Madison" true story, interesting way to get an engine....

I plan on being there.

But just an FYI;

They are also claiming to have over 100 present so it may be a tad bit louder than 60... :D