4G RX-7 at the track

coltboostin

Made 3 passes at the track last night with the broken-non shifter tranny. Those who have heard the car just rolling down the road can attest to how LOUD it is. :(

1st pass ever-pump gas, low boost-Shifting at 8k

2.20-60ft

9.28@71mph- 1/8 mile

14.0@109 -1/4 mile ET

Wow, this thing refuses to shift into anything at 8k. I have to wait until IDLE to go into 3rd! So-I figure I will just short shift 1-3 and hope for good things in 4th.

2nd pass-pump gas, low boost- Shifting 1-3@5k, and winding out 4th. I literally had no more than 5psi until after the 1/8th

2.0 60ft

8.46@96mph 1/8th mile

12.5@123 1/4 mile

Better than I expected considering the circumstances, and ron now owes me $20 :)

Last pass, go with race gas and 30psi for shits and giggles. I meant to do my 5k 1-3 mod, but lined up against GSX and got excited-so I tried to shift at 8k again. :mad:

2.1 60ft

9.24@76mph in the 1/8th

13.7@115mph 1/4

It grinded so much on the 1-2 and 3-4 shot on this pass, I was sure I left the tranny on the track. But-It made it home.

Its insane how bad the tranny is/sounds for it to actually be doing anything at all. I am tempted to put real tranny fluid in it (have whatever 20-50 in it now, all the RX guys havening success with them run MT90 or 80-90) and seeing if it improves, but I should probably just put a new box in there.

I see the potential-because everything works well when its actually in gear:D I literally spend 4-5 second of the run trying ot get it into a gear.

Thats all for now-

Hell yeah, nice going JP. I am sure that you will have this thing dialed in quick. Just out of curiousity, when you built your colt, how long did it take you to get into the 10's?

Jackson

Since I first had a 4G in it-2 years. But- it did go through 4 "stages" to get there.

14b-12.7@110

16g-11.8@119

60-1 -11.2@128

60-1+cams+intake- 10.7@135

Yeah-as soon as this thing can shift-I think I will reach my "goals" for it with a stock head and cams.

• 2 weeks later...

T5's take Dexron. I switched to Royal Purple years ago and it mad a HUGE difference! I've never heard of running Motor Oil.

EDIT - I was just thinking about this. It seems to me motor oil would not allow the brass syncros do their job. Dexron being more of detergent it would help the syncros.

• 2 weeks later...

Different tranny-

Refreshed Disc

different used Tii Slave cylinder

Shimmed fork

MAXIMUM adjusted

No better-maybe even worse. I gave up after gear grinding pass 4. Still rolls away at 4k with the clutch fully engaged.

Only good news is that it yaks the tires at a no boost 4k lauch with the slicks on it. :) There is a video of the said action :cool:

I am about ready to set the car on fire though. :mad: I am sick of this issue. Its quite fast in gear, but without the ability to shift-it does not matter! I am ordering new OEM hydrolics on Monday.

the car def looked good at the shoot out. hope your get all the bs worked out of the tranny and such

that setup looks absolutly rediculess in an rx-7.

and what ever happened with the belt?

Yeah that was with my buddie driving. The car wheel hopped pretty bad-VERY bad actually, and he just stayed in it. I was sure he was going to leave the Diff at the 330 mark.:eek:

Thats the first time it flung the belt. I went to pick it up-and tossed it back on the car. I actually wish it blew up now, I am sick of dealing with this clutch issue.:mad:

• 4 weeks later...