Will a bad quadrajet make a vehicle stay running when shut off like bad timing does?

Browning

Assuming timing is 100% dead on. Shut the car off and it will try to stay running, but it doesn't do it all the time. I've been shutting it off in gear and even then sometimes it doesn't work. Seems as if it's spitting a little gas out of the choke when shut off. Car runs good though when driving, that's what has me thrown off. It's been timed many times so I've ruled that out for now, thinking it has to be the carb? Possibly the choke?

1986 Pontiac Grand Prix. It's got the computer controlled rochester carb with electric choke

One of these pieces of shits

http://www.i-5automotive.com/p5images/4395.jpg

If it is the carb, are these hard to rebuild by chance? Any of you have a decent one laying around for cheap?

we can rebuild that carb for you..and modifiey if needed.they are bad about dumoing fuel from a certain area inside..we mod them so they dont do it anymore!

and yes it is suppose to click like that!

• 2 weeks later...
even if the carb is dumping fuel it shouldnt run if there is no spark. sounds like a ground or ignition issue to me....my 2 cents.

bad ground or ignition will cause it to do diesel(I guess is the term?)? How would I go about checking this?

I made a post on another forum and got this back as the first and only reply:

"When the engine is warm, the choke butterfly should be straight up & down. If it is at any kind of angle, something is wrong. If the choke thermostat (the round black plastic piece on the passenger side of the carb) is not operating properly, such as not getting the 12 volts it needs to warm up and release the choke, or has gotten weak over time (it happens with all the heat cycles), then not only will the choke butterfly not open completely, but the high idle cam will not disengage properly, which will lead to run-on. However, if this is the case, your engine is not idling fine - it's idling too fast.

Look at those things, and also let us know what your warmed-up idle RPMs are."