Help me pick some tires?

Harb67

So I'm finally finished with the stock rubber on my 650r and am looking to do my first tire upgrade.

I was running Bridgestone BT020's which are described as "Sport Touring & Cruiser Radials designed for touring oriented sport riders offering solid performance and good mileage", which is a nice way of saying "super cheap tires that'll get ya where ya need to go, probably". They were decent commuting and freeway tires, but inspired no confidence in the twistys at all. After about 8500 miles, the front had some pretty significant cupping and the rear was squaring off to the point where I could feel it hit the 'ridge' and abruptly fall into turns, and the whole bike didn't like to hold a line. While I still had a few mm of tread left before I hit the tread indicator bumps, it is definately time for new rubber.

I was originally torn between Michelin Pilot Powers (seemingly the staple sporty street/track tire) and Pilot Road 2's, but after doing some more research, my options have increased and I'm even more confused than before. Now, I'm considering those two options as well as Metzler Sportec M3's and several Pirelli tires; Diablo's, Diablo Rosso's, and Diablo Strada's.

My riding consists of around town commuting, some highway riding (mostly the 140 mile jaunt up and down i71 between Akron and Columbus, as well as a typical 1 hour trip to the twisties), and ever-increasing amounts of twisty riding in Hocking County, Coshocton, and around East Canton. Drag racing isn't of any consequence, and while not out of the questions track days aren't really something I'm planning for at this time. I'm really only concerned with dry-weather performance; if it rains, I usually immediately turn around and take the safest route home anyway because I simply don't like riding in the rain :( Also, for reference, my chicken strips are about 1/4" to 1/3" on the rear; they're getting smaller and smaller and might have been gone by now if my current rubber hadn't turned sour towards the end of the season.

Obviously, a confidence-inspiring tire with lots of grip, quick warm-up times, and good road feel would be great, but I need something that can handle my highway needs without squaring off in a hurry. Overall tire life is a major consideration too; I don't want to be forced to replace my rubber mid-season next year.

My fear of a sporty tire getting ruined by the freeway is what made me consider Road 2's; a dual compound tire that can supposedly handle tons of freeway riding when needed but that is also competent when leaned over. However, I don't know if they'll give me the stickiness and confidence I want in the twisities.

Powers, M3's, and Diablos all seem to be roughly in the same vein; soft, grippy tire that would offer me all the grip and confidence I want in the bends but that might not survive i71. Diablo Rosso's are a tire that I only recently heard of, but after some research I'm fairly interested in them. The naked edges on the rear seem to be a pretty sweet idea, and apparently they warm up insanely quickly. The only negative thing I've heard about them is that they don't have the best road feel. I've also heard very good things about Diablo Strada's, but I'm a bit worried they might be a bit too touring-oriented; if anyone can dispel that notion...feel free :)

Price isn't a huge consideration; the Road 2's are the only ones that really stand out as being expensive; the rest are all within 10$ or so of each other. I really can't put a price on my own safety and riding confidence, so for all intents and purposes; money isn't an object. I just don't want to have to be burning through 300$ more than once a season.

Most of the tire recommendation threads I've read here relate to people with much bigger bikes than mine; even a 600cc supersport more or less doubles my RWHP, and I can't help but believe that mileage estimates for tires on those bikes would be somewhat undershooting what I would be able to get on my bike with the same rubber.

...so, yeah. Didn't realize I was going to be that verbose :S Anyway, any advice people want to give me would be greatly appreciated. Who knew buying tires would be such a headache :confused:

*edit*

Oh, also, whatever I buy has to come in 120/70-17 up front and 160/60-17 out back (though 170's fit my rim too). That rules out a few tires, like Corsa 3's.

I just put on some Conti Road attacks. So far they have been great. Warm up fast and feel real good in the corners. A couple of my buddies have been able to get around 7k out of them witout any issue. I bought mine here. http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/cgi-bin/942891B1/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=moto/tires/rear_tires.html

I have ridden the Metzlers and the Pilot Powers and don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Conti's are a little cheaper though. 2 of my buddies will only put the PP's on their CBR 600 and Repsol. Don't know why but thats their choice so more power 2 them. On the Sv forum I frequent the tire of choice seems to be the Conti's. Alot of guys put a Sport Attack on the front (little softer compound) and the Road Attack on the rear. I have also heard good things about the Strata's and the Diablo's. I don't have any personal experience though.

Good luck and whatever you pick. In what you mentioned will be much better than what you have now.

I have road bridgestone contis and mich's and metz's are the best I have found yet. Nice hard center for mileage and the outside 30 percent is soft for excellent grip I love them. I got 5 thousand out of my last set and they still had some life left in them. I have metz's on all my bikes and bfg on all my cars.

I have road bridgestone contis and mich's and metz's are the best I have found yet. Nice hard center for mileage and the outside 30 percent is soft for excellent grip I love them. I got 5 thousand out of my last set and they still had some life left in them. I have metz's on all my bikes and bfg on all my cars.

Just out of curiosity. Are you saying the M3 is a dual compound tire? They are very good tires don't get me wrong. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Here is why I ask.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0702_metzeler_sportec_m3_tires/index.html

Edited by Lost1888

i used to be a michelin fan. still am somewhat. but for some reason, their lack in mogoGP has turned me off...

i will be trying some bridgestone's 002 take offs next time around. and right now im at the point where im considering getting a second set of wheels for my commuting and my tracking.

the pilot power rear usually last one season and the front has lasted me two (although its definitely time to replace it).

Pilot Power:

rain--fine and really fun (by fun i don't mean scary but easy to control when things don't go to plan)

longevity-- rear (one season) front (two seasons)

i would go so far as to add the PP2ct's would last the same amount of time even though they have a softer side. we really don't use it as much, unless you decide to go all track.

but for what i know you WANT to do (hocking) go with the PP's (or PP2ct's), M3's, or any of the other equivalents.

you'll be a lot more confident and you'll have more fun.

honestly throw a 3 sided quarter in the air and whatever it lands on is your choice. just as it was said above, everyone will say something different as to why or why they don't like them.

/endthread

but for what i know you WANT to do (hocking) go with the PP's (or PP2ct's), M3's, or any of the other equivalents.

honestly throw a 3 sided quarter in the air and whatever it lands on is your choice. just as it was said above, everyone will say something different as to why or why they don't like them.

/endthread

That's more or less what I was thinking in the back of my mind, but I wanted to hear it from some people who actually knew what they were talking about before I pulled the trigger on some new donuts. Can't wait to get new rubber on...there were too many times last season (especially when I was out with other OR guys) when I caught myself going "man, if only these tires didn't suck...". Who knows if it actually was the tires or not; I can't wait to actually have some confidence in what I'm riding on.

These BT020's have one final job to do; an epic burnout picture to use on Facebook. Vain? Yes. Sue me :p

I swapped out my tires last year for a set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa 3's (im pretty sure). The rear is a triple compound, and the front is a dual. ive got more than 7 thousand on them i think, I dont remember at what point I replaced them. The rear is starting to go flat. I liked them, but I might switch to some pilot powers next year.

you want to talk to some people that REALLY know what they are talking about?

give the guys at sportbiketrackgear.com a call and they will guide you to your tire choice. even though they are michelin suppliers i have found they aren't biased and work to figure the best tire for you. although most of the time its the michelin...

o and about that burnout thing... just be careful. don't ask how i know.

i used to be a michelin fan. still am somewhat. but for some reason, their lack in mogoGP has turned me off...

i will be trying some bridgestone's 002 take offs next time around. and right now im at the point where im considering getting a second set of wheels for my commuting and my tracking.

the pilot power rear usually last one season and the front has lasted me two (although its definitely time to replace it).

Pilot Power:

rain--fine and really fun (by fun i don't mean scary but easy to control when things don't go to plan)

longevity-- rear (one season) front (two seasons)

i would go so far as to add the PP2ct's would last the same amount of time even though they have a softer side. we really don't use it as much, unless you decide to go all track.

/endthread

If you are doing any track days, ditch the Bridgestones. The Michelins are WAY better and easier to dial in. Plus, more guys run them than Bridgestones and you'll be able to get better notes from others than if you run the Stones.

Also realize that just because they are the sole provider of tires for MotoGP, they aren't going to neccessarily be the best track tire out there.

Any of the top guys who have tried Bridgestones and have switched to Dunlop, Pirelli or Michelins have been more than happy they did.

Now as for the other guy? Sorry to thread jack...:D

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd rather post a reply here and ask this rather than start a second tire thread:

My bike comes stock with a 160 rear, but I can fit a 170 on the rear rim. Should I stick with the 160 size, or up it to 170? A larger contact patch is always a good thing, but will I see any negative effects other than paying an extra 5 bucks for my tire?

Hi, I can't tell you what tires to buy I like Dunlop and Michelin pilot. ( OK Pilot )

I can tell you to stay away from race tires for the street, they are designed to run at track temps 160 degrees, under that temp they get hard and they lose their grip.

160 to 170 ok if tire fits but may slow the stearing.

When purchasing tires you must consider your riding style and budget. Lets say you ride slow a couple times a year on select days or are a stunter, then any tire that holds air would probably be ok and as far as budget you can't get cheaper then race take offs for $50 a set. Personaly I ride hard in all weather and conditions and having the tires let go is no fun, well sometimes it is. I usually purchase used tires off wrecked bikes. The last set were pilots with at least 75% and cost me $90 these have been the best tires. Another thing to consider as tires age they get hard and lose their grip so new old tires might not be such a great deal. New tires are the best but the bummer is they feel great for about 500 miles or less, start to square off loosing that new feel. If you are new to riding get new street tires, oem being the easiest decision. Good luck on your search and let us know what tires you go with.