Smoke from a Sky Redline

jeffmeden

How much should one of these be coughing up during WOT? I was playing with one the other day on my bike and it was doing ok, I am just wondering if it was stock or not. It let out a pretty thick trail of nice blackish haze when it kicked down, like it was chugging a LOT of gas, or had no cats, or something. The exhaust was pretty quiet. The plate was '2 FLY SKY' I think, if anyone knows who it might be. Those are nice looking cars, I would be real impressed if they ran that well stock. We were too busy cruising for me to ask him, he swung off the freeway after a little bit.

Those Redline's would be pretty hard to modify too much I'd assume due to the fact it has the SIDI fuel system. I don't know how you could get much more fuel than 2147 PSI it pumps.

We've installed a few CAI's on the Sky's, but that's about it so far.

my father in law has a solstice gxp, which is pretty much the same thing. he's on a few forums and i guess there's a reflash like stated, but nothing extreme yet. people ARE doing LS2 swaps on those cars. he has an intake and a catback on his--pretty quick little car.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Nick, you have no idea.

The bottom line is, with supporting mods (exhaust, intercooler) that car is at barely over stock power, maybe 270-280 HP. But the ECU will limit the power the car puts out by pulling boost (complex torque modeling inside the ECU that you can't get around without acking the computer). With a reflash it could be in the 300-330 HP range. But that's with the tiny stock turbo putting out 22 psi (out of its efficiency range).

Direct injection does put off a fair amount of soot from the tail pipe, but nothing like you described. If the car is running that rich he's probably washing the cylinder walls with fuel and ruining his engine. (already happened to a few people).

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Nick, you have no idea.

The bottom line is, with supporting mods (exhaust, intercooler) that car is at barely over stock power, maybe 270-280 HP. But the ECU will limit the power the car puts out by pulling boost (complex torque modeling inside the ECU that you can't get around without acking the computer). With a reflash it could be in the 300-330 HP range. But that's with the tiny stock turbo putting out 22 psi (out of its efficiency range).

Direct injection does put off a fair amount of soot from the tail pipe, but nothing like you described. If the car is running that rich he's probably washing the cylinder walls with fuel and ruining his engine. (already happened to a few people).

so let me ask you this... what state causes the ECU to pull boost?

i dont know how much worse it could be than the Siemens 2000... if at all.

It's probably the most advanced ECU on the market right now. It's a Bosch unit and the situations that cause it to pull boost can be hard to pin point. Basically, let's put it this way; there are a bunch of sensors on the car that read the amount of air, the temperature before and after the intercooler, the amount of boost, etc. It takes all the airflow signals coming in and calculates torque. If any of those sensors reads too high and the ECU calculates the car is producing too much torque it will pull torque back down to the level.

The wastegate is electronically controlled and has a learn function. So you may see a jump in power on the first, second, and third dyno pull after a mod, but the ECU will eventually adjust for it and bring power back down to near stock levels.

Now, if your thinking of tricking the ecu by faking sensor outputs you may have some trouble. You will go into limp mode if all the sensors don't line up and since it runs closed loop WB 02 under nearly all conditions it will also see the increased airflow through the resulting increase in fuel trims. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would be playing in a small band.

Direct injection is a wonderful thing. But for "tuners" it makes the job A LOT harder. Plus, you have to be careful who tunes the engine because it's not the usual "add a ton of fuel and it's safe" mantra that some live by. You can ruin your engine quick.

and since it runs closed loop WB 02 under nearly all conditions

Well theres your problem. Thats a bitch.

So is it measuring everything off of the A/F ration then? If you incresed the air input and fuel input at the necessary rations as that you wouldnt have to moddify fuel pressure... and kept boost pressure the same... would that work? or is it using a MAF and Map together?

Well theres your problem. Thats a bitch.

So is it measuring everything off of the A/F ration then? If you incresed the air input and fuel input at the necessary rations as that you wouldnt have to moddify fuel pressure... and kept boost pressure the same... would that work? or is it using a MAF and Map together?

It's MAF and MAP together.

You're not going to be modifying fuel pressure. It runs a peak of over 2100 psi in the rail and is a cam driven fuel pump.

It's not meaqsuring everything off of A/F ratio. It's calculating torque from airflow. The WB 02 just makes sure it's always hitting it's target and will correct the fuel trims in order to ensure it does. But after the fuel trims correct so much it will throuw a code.

Closed loop WB 02 is a wonderful thing, it's nothing to be scared of. You just need control of the ECU to realize major gains due to all the other calculations going on. Tuning the engine can be as simple as doing your mods, making some pulls and allow the ECU to learn new fuel trims, correct some tables to reflect what the ECU has just learned, repeat until your fuel trims are perfect.

sounds like a waste of GM's time... to make a car... a boosted RWD one at that... and make it nearly impossible to moddify.

Not really.

When you produce a car and want to include a 100k mile warrenty on the powertrain you will do everything you can to make sure it does not operate outside of the intended conditions. Especially when turbo cars are often easily modified by people that have no idea what they're doing, and can easily change it back to stock for a trip to the dealer.

Wow, I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Sky Redline I testdrove. Seems like the standalone ECU market will be big for those cars.

There is currently no standalone ECU that can deal with direct injection. It's no biggie, everyone will be dealing with it soon enough. There are plenty of companies already dealing with it on Audi/VW spplications.