Starter Issue

ElPurtre6886

My 96 z28 gets a really bad grinding noise when starting. It only does it sometimes. Mainly when it is cold. I havent got into checking the starter yet, but i think it could be a combination between that and the ring gear of the flywheel. It still turns over, but sometimes it takes a few tries. Anyone think this could be the problem? If so, do you know how big of a job the flywheel is? Thanks.

Starter isn't engaging the teeth completely, there are teeth missing, or the starter needs shimmed. You should be able to bump the starter many times and look under the car each time to inspect the teeth. Testing the starter and shimming requires starter removal.

wow. im having the same problem since i got my car back from having the motor. its a sound like a combination of grinding gears when shifting and the sound you get trying to start the car when its running

im on my way here in about 15 min to go swap in a used one...50$ at the junkyard and they pulled it