Getting Ripped off on shipping?

WideOpenThrottle

So I won a bunch of turbo parts off from E-bay, and the guy is in Cali. He told me the shipping wasn't going to be over $300, but here is the quote he sent me...

Packaging estimate is from UPS store for 5 packages and the shipping estimate is for FedEx home delivery. These are the best rates I could find:

1. Turbo: 30lbs 12x12x12

2. Intercooler/bumper support/foam pad 45 lbs 54x22x22

3. Cold piping 10lbs 40x12x24

4. Mid Pipe/Downpipes/t4 turbo pipe 45lbs 50x19x19 (cut in two pieces) 74x19x19 (uncut)

5. Header y pipe 15lbs 34x22x10(cut in two pieces) 30x30x30 (uncut)

Packaging: $230 (two large pieces cut) $280 (no cuts)

Shipping: $331.02 (header y pipe and mid/downpipe each cut in two) $497.40 (nothing cut)

So total for the auction with two of the large pieces cut is $811+$230+331= $1372

for everything uncut the cost is $811+$280+$497= $1588

Shipping and packaging is considerable. Let me know if you are still interested and if you want the large pieces cut or not. I do have an alternate buyer that made an offer locally if you want to pass on this on

Does this sound right? Does anyone know a better way to get it to Ohio??? Thanks

Teleporter?

Maybe its the size of the boxes making a difference, but I had a lift kit shipped from that side of the country to my house in Utah from a private party and it cost me $135 to have all 5 boxes shipped. And that lift kit has to weigh atleast as much as all your turbo stuff.

Unfortunately, his auction pretty much states local only until he added some blurb about shipping if the buyer had the pipes cut. He didn't mention specific charges, flat rate, anything. You're pretty much at his mercy.

The other problem is that he's taking it to a UPS Store, which are fucking ridiculously expensive when they pack and ship anything. Last year I sold two sets of chrome Firebird OEM rims w/ tires. The first time I quoted my auction as $180 shipped in the continental US using the calculator on the UPS site and figuring the store would charge about $40 ($10 per box) to ship. It came to $280 from here to Texas because they charged a shit-ton for packing/packaging and I'd also think they have a hidden surcharge when you use their services to ship.

Six months later I sold another set and boxed the fucking things myself, which ran me $20 in boxes, tape, and foam peanuts. The shipping from here to California (go figure) was around $150.

I wrote him telling him to send it through GreyHound, and I would pay for the boxes... I told I'm I'd send him $50 for the 5 boxes and have him put everything in there with out the peanuts or anything like that. =Then he acted like it was going to cost 200 for the 5 boxes!