Machine shop to copy somehting?

Stimmel1647545512

Okay so I gave in a paid 150 bucks for these brackets, are there any of your machine shop people that can help me out?

I will bring the brackets to you and can you take the measurements put it into the computer or whatever and make me some more sets of these?, here is a rough pic of one of the brackets

http://www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/rear/fourlugdisc/images/4lug3.jpg

You can copy it, but you can not sell it. If you where to make improvements to it, and then obtain a patent for the improvements, you could sell the product. Otherwise it is a copyright infringement, unless you do a contract and negotiate royalties/at least get written permission.

As far as a good shop, I am not sure. If I get my mill for christmas, ill do it for you, but not sure if it is going to fit in Santas sack.

You can copy it, but you can not sell it. If you where to make improvements to it, and then obtain a patent for the improvements, you could sell the product. Otherwise it is a copyright infringement, unless you do a contract and negotiate royalties/at least get written permission.

As far as a good shop, I am not sure. If I get my mill for christmas, ill do it for you, but not sure if it is going to fit in Santas sack.

Only if it's patented or copywrited. You can make whatever you want and sell it, as long as it's not specifically protected.

As for the part: You don't need no stinking computer. Those were probably made in China for 40 cents each. The $150 covers the cost of setting up the shop and making dies for the press. Unfortunately, you probably wont save money and get a product of equal quality:

Option 1: CnC from billet. This will be more than $150

Option 2: cut and drill a blank, and bend it l(ike the part you have was made). You're not going to put that thickass steel (is is 1/4"?) in a break without tearing it. You need a press, and this will cost a grand to set up here in the states.

What does the bracket do, and how strong does it have to be? You may engineer a way around some things. Tell us everything you know about the part.

It is a rear disc brake bracket for 8.8 mustang rear ends while using turbo coupe rear brake parts, I want to make a set of my own or have someone do it for some other 5.0s in the stable(if the discs in puttin on this one work well)

There is a guy on corral who is selling them but his are for cobra brakes... asked him to make me some and he just said find someone local to copy yours thats what he did..

there is nothing illegal goin on here cmon now...

since when can you not break 1/4 steel i do it almost everyday

I was a machine tool rebuilder in a prior life... I was about to say the same thing. I have fixed many breaks that do more than that.

Although I am not a machinist, I have a good background in machining operations. It looks to me that the person who made that unit did not know what he was doing. The part should be bent before machining. If you look at the one hole it is deformed due to the break, not good for break parts on a car IMHO.

Specify:

-What kind of steel

-How tight the break is

-What you use

Well Eric, maybe you will believe me. It is done everyday and it is a standard practice.

To answer your questions,

Almost any kind of steel except for cheap Chinese brittle crap, also stainless steel and 2 and 3 thousand series aluminum alloys.

Roughly a 1/8" diameter inside radius, depends on material and dies used.

Press brake. Bottom die opening to be 8 times material thickness, in this case 2"

Well Eric, maybe you will believe me. It is done everyday and it is a standard practice.

To answer your questions,

Almost any kind of steel except for cheap Chinese brittle crap, also stainless steel and 2 and 3 thousand series aluminum alloys.

Roughly a 1/8" diameter inside radius, depends on material and dies used.

Press brake. Bottom die opening to be 8 times material thickness, in this case 2"

I absolutely agree with you, because there was a difference in lingo. A press brake is something that I call a press, because it used pressure and a die. As apposed to a sheet metal break, that grabs and bends around an edge. The part in the picture was clearly made on a press (brake).

Soft steels, stainless, and aluminum alloys. What about hardened and carburized stock? Given the heat involved in hard braking (though less in the rear), I wouldn't want to use a soft alloy. Going up and down with temperature, I'd be worried about a compromise in the steels integrity. Combine that with what happens to steel at the brake (work hardening and increased porosity on the outer edge), and we end up with something that I wouldn't trust to hold a caliper under braking. It would closely resemble brittle Chinese crap. :)

1/4" hot and cold rolled plate and usually go past 90 on an 8' hydraulic press brake so if you tearing 1/4" steel you need to not operate the equipment anymore. old job used to make backhoe buckets out of 3" t-1 hardened armor plate can break to almost 70 degrees.

Spend the money and buy more down the road. I am a machinist and sometimes it is just not worth the time of tooling up for stuff when you can buy it. I tend to make a lot of my own parts for my cars but even then it is sometimes cheaper just to go buy it.