Corevette C5 weight on rear wheels?

Science Abuse

My crazyness:

-I just crunched the numbers on my gutted car, and found the rear load to be almost identical as the C5 (if I round up on my weight, it may well have less weight on the rears). An non-gutted MN12 would only have 100 or so more lbs on the rear wheels, 40 of which is the coil springs that you'd be removing.

-Aluminum Mark 8 lower control arms would allow TIG welding of mounts.

-The MN12 steel sub frame is steel and can be modified to seat this mono leaf properly in the center.

The last thing needing done is direct measurment, to find out if the distance from the hubs to the leaf mount can be maintainted, as well as the distance from the leaf mount to the lower control arm pivot. The rear track is only an inch off on either side, the vette is wider. This means that the spring will act with more force on our cars, in theory allowing for us to have a certain amount of more weight on it with no ill effect.

Not only do you loose two heavy springs, but you lower your rear center of mass, and your ride height is adjustable per-wheel. Sould like something you drag racers would love. You'd save more wight if you cut out the reinforcments needed for the coil springs.

The only problem you may run into is routing the exhaust. It would slip right over the leaf, but you'd need to protect the leaf from heat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-Corvette-C5-LS1-5-7L-REAR-SUSPENSION-LEAF-SPRING_W0QQitemZ320177985126QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem