What surround sound would be best w/ the tv i'm getting

Rustlestiltskin

We're getting a sony 52in lcd bravia flatscreen. Just curious as to what you guys think would work great w/ this in terms of surround sound systems. Throw out some suggestions if ya can.

thanks,

Paul :cool:

link to tv:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771604000P?filter=Brand%7CSony%5EOverall+Size%7C52+in.&vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=LCD+TVs&sLevel=3

I was always told that Onkyo was a cheap brand, but I don't know for sure. I have a cheap $100 Zeith 5.1 system that sounds pretty good for the price. But if I am paying for a high price/quality TV, I would be paying for very good sound system as well.

Back in the 80's and 90's Onkyo was great. I am not sure now.

I have klipsch speakers(3-series) in my basement and theater room, they both sound GREAT. A yamaha receiver in the basement, onkyo in the theater, harmon kardon in the bedroom; I'm a A/V junkie :D. No complaints about them.

Nice TV, I'm leaning towards the XBR5 myself.

I have the Harman/Kardon 247 with Yamaha speakers. When I was shopping, I was looking at the Yamaha reciever, thinking same manufacturer for speakers and reciever would get the best results.

Then the saleman switched the exact same source and speakers over to the H/K unit. Night and day difference. The H/K reciever just filled out the sound better.

Another neat trick is that the 247 and higher have a microphone you plug in and set up where you will be sitting. Then the reciever sets up the speaker delays and levels automatically for you.

It's also a 7.1 reciever if you want to go nuts.

Check out avsforum.com for more info than you could ever want to know about anything. That place is seriously awesome.

Onkyo reciever's are very good. I currently have the 540 (last years model), which is known to be about the best "budget" 7.1 reciever out there. In general, you want to stay away from home theatre in a box packages, unless that is all your budget will allow. Search the speaker and sub forums on avs for budget speakers. To the people on that forum, budget means anything not 100% audiophile approved. So basically the best product for a normal home theatre budget. They tipped me off to some Advent speakers, which were actually $200/speaker speakers made by a german company, but rebadged as advent and sold for like $80/speaker in the US. I wound up getting them on closeout (they stopped making them) for $40/pair, and they sound unbelievable. Search around that forum, I'm sure there are other deals like that out there...

Depends on your room and set up. Upstairs we have a beautiful Paradigm system and in the basement a nice White Bose dual cube set up.

I went Bose as it does sound good....it's no Paradigm, but it's for TV more than music.....and I'm picky about appearance. I wanted something that looks good where most component systems look like crap.