Amazing Deal on 42" 1080p LCD

Casper

Walmart has the same one...for the same price. NO sears card needed

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623473

That's a 720p. BIG difference.

True story

Again, big difference.

Ben is the screen on this TV glossy?

I'm thinking about picking one of these up.

Sort of, but not overwhelming. Call me if you want to come look at mine while you're in town.

from a seller of LCD's. if you want a cheap lcd vizio's are ok. they use the cheapest processor and will not last that long, thats why they are cheap. If you want a great LCD, go for Sony. stand back 20ft from the tv's and you can barely see a vizio, sony is still bright. The sony processors will actually make the low def signals look better

You must be on crack. Sony sucks. They have for several years now. Samsung LCDs are the best by far. Hell, they make like 70% of the LCD panels used in every brand.

then you have a crapy display model... I have this Visio... picked it up about a year ago (maybe less... I can't keep track of time) and picture quality is great and I can see the picture fine in any light.... or a reasonable distance.... I'm pretty sure my great room is longer than 20 feet and I cal see it fine from each side of the room.

Agreed. I was watching football from outside of my house last night. Definitely bright, and I have my lamp turned down to 60%.

Thats what I was thinking consumer reports rates them only 15 points behind samsung which have the best LCD's out right now. Sony is ok but Samsung is where it's at concerning HDTV's.

I'm going to pick this up when I get back in town and use it in my living room then come bonus time if I get one I'll get a 46" Samsung and move this one to my bedroom.

Exactly. Good call.

How do these hold up as far as a PC monitor goes?

Way too small for a main TV, but would probably work nicely as a wall-mount monitor/TV in my computer room.

I could probably swing one IF it works very well as a monitor, since I could sell my current LCD's to cover some of the cost. Would free up some space too.

There is no way in hell you got a 52" Flat Panel LCD for $799, let alone a year ago. Maybe an LCD Rear-Projection, which is not what this thread is about.

It is fucking awesome as a monitor. I hooked it up last night to fuck around. Fucking awesome. I thought I wanted a 50 - 52" for my great room. Carie found this deal at Sears, so we went ahead and bought it. I'll tell you what dude, once its in the room you realize just how big 42" is. Its perfect, if not a little too big.

if you read the facts, Sony is the Leader in LCD TV's, Samsung is a sister company and their medium grade panels are equal to Sony's medium panels(V3000). But Samsung doesn't have a panel that compares to Sony's XBR5. You can't go to best buy or circuit shity to see an XBR5, since they are for dealer stores, not big business.

The Vizio displayed I seen where at the local sam's club.

Sony sucks. The Vizio at Sam's Club is an old model. Its the same as the one at WalMart. 720p and no detachable speakers. Apples and oranges man.

We'd been shopping for a new tv for several months now. This Vizio came highly recommended by several people, so we went ahead and checked it out. I'm telling you guys, between this and the Samsung I couldn't tell a difference. But this one has the detachable speakers. That rocks.

Also, just learned this one last night... Insight, WOW, and Time Warner use QAM decoding for HD signals. This TV has a QAM decoder built in. Bypass the cable box (plug the cable directly into the tv) and you get free HD. I even have all of the Big Ten Network channels in HD. Fucking rocks.

Just saw a commercial for this t.v. and it's down to $899!!!

I think you're talking about the 720p version. That's what it costs pretty much everywhere. Spend the extra $50 for the 1080i version. Trust me. The Steelers game yesterday was freaking incredible.

wait, Ben, are you saying that I don't need my HD box for that TV? do you still get all of the other digital channels? I'm paying extra a month just so I can have a digital box upstairs... if I can bypass that and still get HD... that's great!

I have a 42" 1080P Westinghouse in my family room now. Got it for $1050 a couple of months ago. It does have its flaws (bad black levels, low contrast ratio.), but for the money I think it's great. Call of Duty 4 at 1080P is amazing.

In a couple years I'll probably move it into the bedroom.

wait, Ben, are you saying that I don't need my HD box for that TV? do you still get all of the other digital channels? I'm paying extra a month just so I can have a digital box upstairs... if I can bypass that and still get HD... that's great!

That's exactly what I'm saying. You might not get all of them, but alot. Even the music channels come in.

Ben, yea, Sony sucks, you don't know what your talking about. We sell Sony TV's and are one of the only High End dealers here in the area. A Vizio couldn't even keep up with a Blue Ray disc. The new XBR5 almost has the same black levels as the new Pioneer ELITE plasma. Where did you go to compare your TV's? Probally a really old Sony model.

Sony has the decoder in it too for cable, most of the TV's do. Hell I can even get some free pay per view channels on mine.

Samsung does make a nice TV, They just don't make a high end model.

Ben, tell me why the Sony XBR series sucks?

Ben, yea, Sony sucks, you don't know what your talking about. We sell Sony TV's and are one of the only High End dealers here in the area. A Vizio couldn't even keep up with a Blue Ray disc. The new XBR5 almost has the same black levels as the new Pioneer ELITE plasma. Where did you go to compare your TV's? Probally a really old Sony model.

Sony has the decoder in it too for cable, most of the TV's do. Hell I can even get some free pay per view channels on mine.

Samsung does make a nice TV, They just don't make a high end model.

Ben, tell me why the Sony XBR series sucks?

I didn't say the XBR series sucks. I said Sony sucks. The XBR series is just horribly over priced, and not even in the same category as the Vizio. The 40" is $2500 and the 46" is $3600. Let's think about this... $950 or $2500 - $3600... Now compare the Vizio against the normal Bravia series. The Vizio wins hand down. Even the Bravia series is over priced at $1900 for the 40" and $2700 for the 46". Sony had their day, but anymore they're just another Bose. People buy it because of the name.

If you don't care that it is a rear-projection this is a hell of a deal

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Hitachi-UltraVision-VS69-Series-62-inch-Projection-TV/2592642/product.html

Eh, if you're just looking for a big tv, then yes its a good deal. If you're looking for a big tv with an awesome picture, pass. Its 720p and only has a 30-day warranty.