? for subie guys

95probegt

I am looking for a new daily driver for my gf... i found a 98 legacy outback it has 200,000 miles with a blown head gasket. I did a little research and it seemed like this was a common problem with the outbacks. I was going to buy it for $600.00 and fix it myself including having the head machiened. Is it worth the work or am i just buying something that is going to bite me in the ass down the road?

Remember there are two heads on a boxer engine... not to mention I am thinking you may have to pull the engine out to remove the heads as there is not much clearance between the frame and heads. Hell the plugs are a PITA on a WRX/STI because of the clearance of the frame. But they are a very reliable engine.

i have never worked on a boxer engine but i heard that they were a little difficult.... and i did know that i was going to have to pull the whole engine.... so i guess my next question would be am i better off to get a short block and just replace it (i heard that you can find them with decent mileage for around 500... don't know if it is true or not) or should i just replace the two head gaskets?

If you pull the engine to do anything, you might as well do Everything. Belts, water pump, entire engine gasket replacement kit (ballpark $200), plugs/wires, etc.. with 200,000 miles it may bite you in the ass but with $1k-$2k in maintenance parts (if you do it all yourself) it'll run forever. They are great cars built really well, very safe too.

IMO....you must do this.

Otherwise it's a ticking time bomb with 200k+ on it. It may still be even after doing this maintenance... :(