American Bulldogs

V8 Beast

Over the last year I have had bad luck with dogs. I have been going to the animal shelters, and its just not working out. One dog bit like 7 different kids before I took him back to avoid a law suit. It was more like a nip, but coming from a 95lbs dog its pretty scary to the kids. Luckily for me everyone in my neighborhood has dogs and understands. Another one did the submissive peeing thing for 6 months. When ever I came anywhere near him he would put his tail between his legs and piss all over the place... yeah he got sent back too. The current one I have is smart, but he's more of the kids dog.

So what do you guys think of american bulldogs? How are they with kids, what breeders do you recommend, etc. I ultimatley want a dog that will be part of the family, yet make criminals think twice about breaking in, or messing with my wife if she goes for a walk.

Edit: It would be like the one on the left. The one on the right looks too much like an english bulldog in the face for me.

http://static.flickr.com/58/186495057_9b2bbed3ed.jpg

I love bulldogs. All the ones I've met/seen are great with kids and puppies. My dog used to do the pissing thing too when he was a puppy. He's perfect in the house now so you really just gotta keep up with the training and make sure you're being corrective rather than aggressive or anything(not even sure if you are though).

Dogs ftw.

I'm calm with dogs. At first I would jump up and scream no, but then he just ran while he was peeing. After a while I just started to stay away from him unless he had already used the bathroom.

That's how my dog was for a long time because the girl who raised him for his first 6 months would hit him with a shoe when he did anything wrong. He would just run while peeing, zig-zag piss everywhere. With patience and 2 years since then, he's very confident and just sits in place very firm when he's in trouble.

Damn, that zig zag piss was annoying as hell to cleanup. lol

That's how my dog was for a long time because the girl who raised him for his first 6 months would hit him with a shoe when he did anything wrong. He would just run while peeing, zig-zag piss everywhere. With patience and 2 years since then, he's very confident and just sits in place very firm when he's in trouble.

Damn, that zig zag piss was annoying as hell to cleanup. lol

zig zag piss FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!

American Bulldogs are awesome dogs, they act a lot like boxers do. They are great with kids, very gentle and smart. My dad actually breeds American Bulldogs, he lives in Georgia, but if you are serious about getting an awesome dog its worth the travel... I can get pics if you like.

Olde English Bulldogge. My aunt just had a litter which my dog was the sire. They have awesome temperments. I've had small children including infants around joe. Trust me not a single person would think of breaking into my place.

They are extremely smart, Not prone to hip displasyia as the other bulldogges. I'm going down to see the puppies saturday as I've got rights to 1. If you want I can take some pics for you. They run retail 1600$ but If you want one we can talk numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olde_English_Bulldogge

History

The Olde English Bulldogge is a re-creation of the Bulldog that existed in England between 1811 and 1820. They were bred to bait animals; mainly bulls and bears. These baiting sports were popular from their inception in 1100 till made illegal in 1835. In bull baiting the dog flattened himself on the ground and crept as close to the bull as possible and then darted to try to catch the bull by the nose. The bull was tethered by a collar, rope and stake in the ground. He tried to catch the dog as he came and threw him 40' into the air. The dog's owner tried to catch him as he fell.

In 1835, the Cruelty to Animals Act passed in Parliament which outlawed baiting. The Bulldog's work was over and he rapidly started dying out. In about 1865 dog shows started and remnants of the Bulldog were used to resurect the Breed.

The Olde English Bulldogge is a re-creation of the "Regency Period Bull Baiter", developed by David Leavitt, of Coatesville, Pennsylvania. In 1971 Mr. Leavitt started his project by using a cattle line breeding scheme of Dr. Fechimer from Ohio State University. The goal was to create a dog with the look, health, and athleticism of the original bull-baiting dogs, but with a less aggressive temperament. The composition of the OEB was ½ Bulldog, 1/6 Bullmastiff, 1/6 American Pit Bull Terrier, and 1/6 American Bulldog. After many carefully planned crosses, the Olde English Bulldogge emerged and began to breed true. Leavitt formed the Olde English Bulldogge Association to keep the stud book and issue registration papers.

In the 1980s Ben and Karen Campetti from Sandisfield, Massachusetts started showing the breed in Molosser breed shows across the country and achieved great success. and for 2 years the OEB was the top rare breed in conformation shows. In 1993 Leavitt stopped breeding and turned the OEBA registry as well as his personal breeding stock over to Michael Walz.

Today's OEB is breeding true to form and possesses good health, agility,temperament and the looks of the old working Bull Baiter. The Olde English Bulldogge Kennel Club and Leavitt Bulldog Associationare recognized as the breed clubs of the Olde English Bulldogge and are working to protect and maintain the bloodlines. The OEBKC and the LBA are currently in the process of achieving UKC recognition and have unified, single breed standard.

BTW, Pack leader instict makes the dog period. I've had my male in the room with a female in Heat with 4 other OEB's and because Joe was commanded to submit there was no fights.

If you walk your dog were does he walk? My dogs require no raising of voice. I've never even slapped my boys, I don't have to a simple hiss and they stop what there doing.

BTW, Pack leader instict makes the dog period. I've had my male in the room with a female in Heat with 4 other OEB's and because Joe was commanded to submit there was no fights.

If you walk your dog were does he walk? My dogs require no raising of voice. I've never even slapped my boys, I don't have to a simple hiss and they stop what there doing.

+1. The Cesar Milan entire mentality works so fucking well.

The only problem with the breed is they have a unusally high amount of unstable temperments, usually resulting in an overly timid animal. This is a problem with a lot of large breeds especially some of the more recent large breeds that have become popular due to breeding for looks as opposed to looks and temperment and the use of too closely related animals to breed. As I've said before, this is more dangerous than an aggresive dog due to unpredictablility. Of course, this won't be the case with every dog. Just be very selective and make temperment your first deciding factor. One more thing, just because you watch Cesar Milan does NOT make you a professional dog trainer. It's like handing a gun to someone without experience and assuming they'll be professional marksman because the last guy who used it is. Yes, a good gun will help, but know you need more experience. Be sure to do plenty of research and feel free to pm me or whatever.

Researched the breeds, go buy a book about the American Bulldog before you actually make the purchase and make sure the dog is for you. You've said you've already returned two dogs to the pound so another doesn't help either, just overpopulates the rescue centers. Also be aware of breed standards as American Bulldogs are starting to be very over breed by irresponsible breeders.

The only problem with the breed is they have a unusally high amount of unstable temperments, usually resulting in an overly timid animal. This is a problem with a lot of large breeds especially some of the more recent large breeds that have become popular due to breeding for looks as opposed to looks and temperment and the use of too closely related animals to breed. As I've said before, this is more dangerous than an aggresive dog due to unpredictablility. Of course, this won't be the case with every dog. Just be very selective and make temperment your first deciding factor. One more thing, just because you watch Cesar Milan does NOT make you a professional dog trainer. It's like handing a gun to someone without experience and assuming they'll be professional marksman because the last guy who used it is. Yes, a good gun will help, but know you need more experience. Be sure to do plenty of research and feel free to pm me or whatever.

I agree 100%, His shit plus a bunch of books has helped me understand dogs allot more then i did when i was a kid. I got a couple good books laying around still i believe. MY puppy book was the best because with out it I would have went nuts.

Researched the breeds, go buy a book about the American Bulldog before you actually make the purchase and make sure the dog is for you. You've said you've already returned two dogs to the pound so another doesn't help either, just overpopulates the rescue centers. Also be aware of breed standards as American Bulldogs are starting to be very over breed by irresponsible breeders.

I've done my research, but asking how they act in real life is always best. Just like how 5 of the professionals said that they are great with kids, while one said they were not. Dogs act the way they were trained to act and CR is a great place to avoid a mistake. Of the dogs taken back, one was put down. The other is a 90lbs lap dog with a pissing problem. He was adopted 2 days after I took him back. The temperment of an american bulldog can be over protective. I'm more than likely going to get a puppy to make sure I dont get an abused one and have to deal with aggression issues.

I have a American Bulldog and best dog I have EVER had.. They have a extremely high tolerence for pain so hitting them to dicipline them are pretty pointless..

For their size they are VERY agile and VERY strong.. For exp - my brother is 320lbs he got on a moped and and put my dogs leash around the handle bars and my dog pulled him easily..

They can be ass holes so train them EARLY.. ass hole meaning they don't want to listen at times...

Mine is part of the Scott bloodline which looks like yours is too!

Trust me you will be really pleased with the dog just be prepared for everyone to think it is a pit bull.

I had to correct a cop in Reynoldsburg one day cause he thought it was a pit bull.

http://full.pca2.fubar.com/00/14/114100/2735103646.jpg

http://full.pcb3.fubar.com/00/14/114100/2739231765.jpg

ive had pittbulls and siberian huskys and boarder collies all my life.. and most of them pack style.(minimum of 5 dogs).

we are now down to three dogs.. all pitbbulls.

they keep the annoying neighbors awa(thank god) and all the people who we are cool with love them. Very good dogs if trianed right.. but then again all dogs can be. so i think its more or less personal preference.. jsut make sure u check up on your local laws.. even a boxer is somtimes coined as a "fighting" dog and special insurance is needed.

I had an american bulldog for years. Jeff is right in saying the dog is very strong, my dog took nearly all my strength to hold back when she wanted to go. If you have young kids I'd be cautious with the breed b/c they are so strong and the ones i've been around were hyper (mine knocked down little ones on a few occasions from jumping).