need power steering help

evan9381

what would caus my PS to whine, even after changing the pump?

recently, i had a new used engine put in. shortly after, i noticed a whine when starting the car. went away after a couple seconds. gradually, it got worse. had my g/f start the car, see that the pulley stops briefly, but the belt is still going. checked the tension, seemed fine. tried to loosen it a hair. did nothing.

finally, this weekend, i changed it out for a pump from an 04 (mines an 03). at first, nothing. only a slight squeal when bleeding the system and the wheel is locked either way. i think everything is fine.

today, start it, quick whine, then gone. go to the gym later in the day, it squeals the whole way there when im making a turn

i dont know much about the PS system, so if anyone has some suggestions, let me know

Guest 614Streets

New pumps typically whine for up to 48 hours of run time some more than others.

Since your using a used pump that isnt the case but make sure you have the fittings tight , it may not leak but it can still suck air in , also make sure you turn it lock to lock.

Check the belt itself, it could be your belt is shot. You can tighten the shit out of a worn belt but it wont stop squealing , try not to overtighten the tensioner either or you run the rish of bearing issues.

Other than that , you may have grabbed one off of an 2004 but that one could be hit too.

Get the belt tight, I use a pry bar to hold it tight while I bolt it down, or even better get someone else to hold the bar.

Here's a simple test. Buy an aerosol can of brake cleaner, install the little plastic extension nozzle, open the hood with the engine off and find a safe way to spray the aerosol on the ribbed side of the belt. Make sure clothing, fingers, etc., won't get caught in the belt. Start the engine, and while you're hearing the squeal, spray the aerosol on the belt. You can try this on both sides of the belt. If the squeal stops instantly, then restarts several seconds later, the noise is being generated by belt slippage. If there's no change in noise, the problem more likely is associated with one of the belt-driven accessories.