Anyone ever bought a car at carmax?

hpfiend

Hey guys,

Just curious if carmax is really no haggle no negotiation or if they say that to deter it. I have tried in the past over the phone but never gone in the store...

Also anyone ever gotten the bumper to bumper warranty they offer? BS?

Thanks!

Andrew

I looked at some stuff there a few months back when I was thinking of buying a new DD. I really didn't get very far because I got kind of an odd feeling like I was buying a car from Sam's Club or something. It just felt very impersonal. From what I can tell it's strictly "here's what we have on the shelf and what it costs" and that's it. I prefer the normal haggling approach because at least I feel like I negotiated something better (althuogh I doubt that's really so). After speaking to a salesperson for a few minutes, I was out.

My brother in law is a tech at the sawmill location, cars are inspected and fixed before sold on the lot. If it doesn't pass it is kicked to auction. The only down side I see is each car is fixed with autozone parts. The have their own autozone as the parts department.

Easy Space Ghost, my son is a comml mgr for the ZONE. Ha ha As far as car max goes? I went there looking for a truck? I wasn't impressed & bought my truck a week later from Maxton. I think Carmax is a decent place for some buyers, but not for me.

Been gone, I don't use autozone parts.

Depends on the brand. Bendix is Bendix, Autolite is Autolite and anything in between 80% of the time is made/remanufactured at the same place. I will agree, some things/brands I would not buy from Autozone.

The above does not apply to my Stang, just my daily drivers.

Guest FooFooMaru

went there and asked if they had any Subarus and he said "No, i've been up and down the lot today and saw none"

there was one there. A wagon. Left shortly after being there. It's nice to know they kick the junk cars out. Just didn't seem like enough of a variety and such.

Answer to the question: Nopes.

My brother in law is a tech at the sawmill location, cars are inspected and fixed before sold on the lot. If it doesn't pass it is kicked to auction. The only down side I see is each car is fixed with autozone parts. The have their own autozone as the parts department.

I sell Lexus parts to them all the time.If it's not at Autozone they call the dealer.They do fix EVERYTHING on the cars.

being in sales I tend to negotiate everything. overall, when looking for a Minivan, I was happy with where they were pricing them at, but other dealers will go lower because they want the sale.

case in point, I found a van that sells all day long at $21-23k for the miles and condition of mine, but the Dennis Dealer on Billingsley wanted very badly to close out November and made me the deal I was looking for.

wow- I am surprised they don't negotiate. I will pass. Thanks everyone

Maybe its my italian immigrant roots but if you don't haggle you are overpaying in my book. Most everything in life is negotiable.

Guest 614Streets

I used to be the shop mechanic at MPH on the corner of Morse and westerville, we bought alot of shit ass cars at auction and cars off the street, I always fixed what was needed etc.

One time a Nissan Altima came to us from the street looking to sell. I drove every car coming in to sell to check it out and did so in a very short runout. This paticular car was a no go from me I told the boss no because I knew it needed too much money to fix and it was a liability. So the car owners went to carmax to sell the car but instead traded it in to CarMax. A couple weeks later that car obviously the piece of shit it was did not pass CarMax inspection and it went to the CARMAX auction.

Carmax sells cars that do not pass thier inspections privately at auction to delars like the one i used to work for.

The sad thing is my Stupid boss bought that same car at the auction. When I saw it I reminded him that was the same car that came off the streets a few weeks ago and I said not to buy.

Anyways, the thing is Carmax operates with a tight inspection of used cars and I respect the inspection process there it has to be pretty dam good. But , No matter what buying a car is always a liability even if new. Do your homework on the model and the engine and any recalls or service bulletins and go from there to the price negotiations. Good luck.

i have bought 2 cars off of carmax in the last year.......i bought my mercedes from them, i have never had a problem and thier prices seem to be very fair. and to me they treat you a lot better than other salesman at other car dealerships. just my opinion.

I went once and looked around, talked to the sales guy. they seemed like good cars at fair prices, but not really GOOD prices. if you dont know diddly about cars and could never fix one on your own, its probably worth it to go there and get a nice reliable car. if you're automotively competant and willing to shop around and fix some stuff on your own, its probably not worth it. the nice thing about them is a painless buying process and a guaranteed good car at a decent price, but there arent any deals to be found there.

I've checked them out a few times and gone in to look, and am consistently unimpressed by the selection. They sell cars with little or no warranty, often with a lot of miles, for what amounts to too much money IMO. If you find a nice car there, don't hesitate cause they apparently are gone in no time.