3.59cts Round Brilliant Diamond Engagement Ring

Dr. Pomade

Long story short, I was engaged, the engagement didn't work out, and now I'm left with the engagement ring. With no use for an engagement ring, I'm putting up for sale here.

Here's some background on it: I bought it in December 2006 at the Diamond Cellar here at Easton. The fiancee wore it for a few weeks, things went sour, and it's been back in its box at my place ever since. So, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this diamond, and it is in pristine condition.

I have both the Diamond Certificate Report from the European Gemological Laboratory (EGL) and the Appraisal from the Diamond Cellar. I scanned both in PDF format, so I can provide you with them through email upon request. I am printing here verbatim the information on the EGL report and the appraisal:

Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 9.73 x 9.64 x 6.14 mm (actual)

Weight: 3.59 Cts. (actual)

Depth: 63.40

Table: 58.0

Girdle: Slightly thick, faceted

Culet: None

Finish - Polish: Good

Finish - Symmetry: Very Good

Clarity: SI-3

Color: H

Cert Type/Number: EGL/2603436832

Mounting Attributes - Metal: Platinum

Mounting Attributes - Setting: Four prong set

Condition: New

Comments: 1/2 Rounded Shank Raised to Head

Comments: The proportions of this diamond are within the tolerance of those of the Premium Cut, thus achieving a harmonious balance between proportions & the display of brilliance.

Total Approximate Retail Value Excluding Tax: $37,129.30

Asking price at this point is $20K, though I'll consider all, reasonable offers. $20K is a ton lower than what I paid for it, but, hey, those are the breaks when you make bad decisions. My loss can be your gain, I suppose. :)

Here are some pics:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3293/ringonhand1wu2.th.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8549/ringonhand3oa6.th.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5455/ringonhand4ds8.th.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5803/ringinbox1vj4.th.jpg

This price seems very low, is there not a better way to get more for this ring? for 20k you are looking at a small 2ct.

Bump for low price.

Well, I've tried Craigslist, Ebay, and iOffer and had no luck with any of them. The Craigslist people would respond with things like "OMG I would so have sex with you for that ring!" and other, funny/supportive things like that, but nothing in the way of true offers. Ebay was only good for getting people to email me with various scams that, ultimately, involved their request to use an "escrow" account outside of Ebay. iOffer has yielded zilch.

I approached Diamond Cellar about the situation, but they wouldn't take the ring back, saying that it had to be returned within 30 days from the date of purchase. I guess I can understand their stance, but, still, it's hard to hear them preach about how great their diamonds are when they are selling it and then have them absolutely refuse to consider taking back their ring after they've already sold it. Business is business, I suppose, and caveat emptor.

I've also approached in the area of a dozen different jewelers in the area in an attempt to simply sell them the diamond directly. Sure, all of them were willing to buy it, but none of them could come up with a price that was even remotely in my ballpark.

So, as you can probably imagine, I've been at this for a while, and my patience is running a bit thin. At this point, I'm willing to unload it for considerably less than what I paid for it just to get rid of the thing. Hell, I've even considered coming on here and offering money to whoever can get it sold on Ebay or whatever, since I figured I was doing something wrong since I haven't been able to sell it.

Yes, the price is fairly low, considering what I paid for it. However, if you can find a better way to get a better price, then I'm all ears. :)

In any event, thanks for the inquiry and for the bump.

Its sucks that used jewelry is worth nothing, it is going to be really hard to get rid of this one also because of the size and price normally if someone is gonna spend this much on a ring they want to it to be new.

I would hang onto this one, but someone who picks this up is gonna get a unreal deal, just don't ever let the other half know that its used or make sure she is cool with it.

Sorry to hear Tilley. Higher end diamonds are very difficult to sell. In my opinion, giving that diamond to your future wife is not a good idea. So the best I can come up with....assuming you don't need the cash right now....is to barter the next round of mods with a tuner with a serious girlfriend :)

Excuse me while I rant...

Mods, please either get this guy to edit his nonsense or I'm going to humiliate him publically. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and this thread isn't the place to air his misperceptions. Similarly, I don't think this is the forum for flame wars.

To everyone else (e.g., SpaceGhost, Jamie), thanks for the sentiments. Yeah, it's good that I got it back, but it's proving rough to get it into the next guy's hands. :) Oh well, you live and you learn, right?

Mods, please either get this guy to edit his nonsense or I'm going to humiliate him publically. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and this thread isn't the place to air his misperceptions. Similarly, I don't think this is the forum for flame wars.

To everyone else (e.g., SpaceGhost, Jamie), thanks for the sentiments. Yeah, it's good that I got it back, but it's proving rough to get it into the next guy's hands. :) Oh well, you live and you learn, right?

You get 2 more wishes....... ;)

The Craigslist people would respond with things like "OMG I would so have sex with you for that ring!"

So I take it that's a no?

Kidding aside, I understand what you are saying. I still have some of my wedding jewelry sitting in a box. IMO it's a scam, that shit is NOT an investment. You can never resell it!

Good luck, I hope you are able to unload it.

Seriously, you will have better luck selling them as separate pieces.

Go to smaller independent jewelry stores and see if they would be willing to buy it.

Or pawn shops (no clue if they would buy anything that big). Good luck on selling it.

Why? I don't mean "yeah check out this rock, it was for someone else but someday it could be yours.." Just propose with it again like it's new.

Or were you saying bad luck will follow it?

You never know what family member will bust you out if you try to pass it off as if you bought it for her. Arguments happen and people say stupid shit, if others know about it, get rid of it. Stupid shit like that always can come back to bite you in the ass later. Most of the time it will be a sister or a female friend that gets jealous later in life. They get in a fight with each other and you get fucked in the aftermath......

You could sit on it and use it as an uptrade on a future engagement ring. I did that for the wifey when I got her ring, jewler had no problem putting the orignal purchace price to the new ring, as long as I went at least 20% over the original rings price.

At the same time, that is a lot of money sitting there. At least with the value of precious metals rising against our somewhat weaker dollar, you have a set comodity that is holding value.

BTW, the wife said she would kill me if I bought that for her, she wants a CTS.

Good luck with the sale.