back again

Guest saturn

I joined here a while back and posted about my hyundai elantra GT hatch. a lot of you didn't like it, but whatever.

well, thanks to some guy in a maroon van doing the PIT maneuver on me last Friday (before ODOT cleared the slush from the freeway), my elantra ended up spinning, sliding, and eventually flying backwards at 50mph into the cement barrier. oh, and he didn't stick around to wait for the cops or to see if I was okay.

I'm ok, but the elantra is dead. the rear passenger-side corner is completely smashed in (you can look straight down and see the muffler), passenger-side rear rim is trashed, as is the front, front passenger-side fender is bent (not sure why - frame damage probably), and the roof looks like an accordian. also, interior: the center console is cracked and crooked, the driver seat is bent backwards and broken, and the whole hatch area is basically squeezed together (I couldn't get to the spare tire or storage compartments).

so I went out and bought a 2008 subaru wrx. it's not an STi, but it's pretty nice. a lot of people don't like them, but now that they're hatchbacks I think they look pretty good. plus, LEDs all over the place, and a 6-disc changer in the dash. plus they threw in a rear diffuser, mudflaps, rubber floor mats, stability control, heated seats, fog lights, etc.

it'll be a while before I do any messing around with the car, I'm still messed up (mentally) from the accident, so the ~230 horses it has will do fine for now.

all of the 07s I found had a ton of miles or smelled like cigarettes and BO. I don't want a car that some 16 year old drove like an idiot until his parents couldn't afford the insurance and made him get a scion.

plus I would've bought an 07 in 07 except I wanted a hatch and figured I'd save money buying an elantra and doing an AWD swap from a tuscon and a bolt-on turbo.

big mistake. you get what you pay for. hyundais are good as people-movers, but that's about it. my other choices were a baja (hard to find, girlfriend says they're ugly), and an evo... but I went with this because of the hatch body style.

I think people hate these because they're so different. and I also think Toyota had a lot to do with the facelift (they now own the 10% of Fuji Heavy Industries that GM/Saab used to own)

thanks

I already have some plans for it, but like I said, I'm going to just settle down for a few months. the symmetrical AWD will probably do better in slush than a hyundai FWD, but surviving an accident like that makes me realize how dangerous cars really are.

but when I quit crying about it...

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/54_55/products_id/257

thanks

I already have some plans for it, but like I said, I'm going to just settle down for a few months. the symmetrical AWD will probably do better in slush than a hyundai FWD, but surviving an accident like that makes me realize how dangerous cars really are.

but when I quit crying about it...

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/54_55/products_id/257

don't waste your money unless you have a front mount the blow off valve is pointless.

If it were my car

start with this when its available for the 08s

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3120

downpipe

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3458

then get a good tune and go from there.

I didn't know the front-mount mattered... I just saw the stock BOV looked like a mcdonalds toy and it made me worry. sorry for seeming dumb about it but this is my first turbo car.

Welcome to Subaru.

thanks. this isn't my "first" subaru though - I convinced my girlfriend to buy one after driving a friends and feeling 100% in control of the car. I was sold. she had just wrecked her VW beetle. got her in a 2002 subaru legacy wagon the next month.

If you listen very carefully to what people say you may stop yourself from being a ricer. If not all hope is lost and you will be flamed.

A. Dont get a bov until you NEED IT

B. Dont upgrade your horn it doesnt need to sound cool it just needs to let people know they shouldnt pull the fuck out in front of you.

Glad you survived what sounded like a pretty nasty accident. Congrats on a nice car purchase dont listen to the haters i love the 08 hatchbacks i was lil skeptical at first then i seen one in person and i really like them.

Welcome

that's the thing- much like my hyundai, the horn is wussy and can barely be heard by anyone.

do you want pictures of the elantra before or after the accident? because I don't have after pictures yet - it's still at the insurance company's garage.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/2036142703_13f6a265f5.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2036142217_13d5fbd71d.jpg

thanks (to both of you)

no major upgrades for a while. like I said, I'm still freaked out, and 100hp more than the elantra will be enough for now. plus, with what happened to the elantra, I basically threw away a couple thousand dollars in pretty useless mods. now that I have a good starting platform, I'm going to save for quality stuff when I'm ready.

not to mention, true2form/state-farm think my car can be repaired (with magic)... so I might be out my deductible AND another car payment... let's hope they go back and take a look at the cracked interior and the crumpled up roof.

after the wreck pic and also pics of the new car. i guarantee that if the frame is cracked/bent then it will be over cause body shops charge so much to fix a frame. i cracked the front of mine and they totaled my car in a heart beat. also if the air bags went off then the car is def toast.

got pics of the new car tonight, will upload and post soon.

they finally totaled the hyundai BUT they only offered me $6000 for it when I owe $6500

I complained - they came back with $7500

I said I'll think about it and they said if I can find 3 for sale within 150 miles for more they'll match the highest price.

I can take my stereo and stuff from it IF someone can tow it to my house. anyone here have a tow truck? I'll give you $50 and some beer. or pizza or something.

got pics of the new car tonight, will upload and post soon.

they finally totaled the hyundai BUT they only offered me $6000 for it when I owe $6500

I complained - they came back with $7500

I said I'll think about it and they said if I can find 3 for sale within 150 miles for more they'll match the highest price.

I can take my stereo and stuff from it IF someone can tow it to my house. anyone here have a tow truck? I'll give you $50 and some beer. or pizza or something.

Just got a new sponsor this week:

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/IMAGES/Capital_Towing.jpg

614.272.1800 Capital Towing & Recovery