More NHRA rules

Guest Removed

Guest Removed

The bean counters and lawyers for the NHRA are at it again in the off season.

The new Super Stupid rules so far.

The first and one that effects many of you guys is the new generator rule. All generators, air compressors, etc., that are powered by an internal combustion engine must have the exhaust directed up and above the top of the trailer, truck, RV, tent/awning, etc.

So, if you have a generator on the tongue of your trailer or in a slideout you will now have to add an exhaust pipe extension up higher than the trailer. The reason is they are worried about the liability for some guy parking next to you in his motorhome getting sick/killed from carbon monoxide from your exhaust. Wouldn't it be easier to just require any motorhome or camper to be equipped with CO detector? My Honda powered generator has a square muffler that would be a pain to attach a pipe to.

The 2nd new rule:

All open-bodied methanol burning or nitrous oxide equipped cars 7.49 seconds and quicker use a SFI 3.2A/15 suit with 3.2A/15 gloves and boots. So, if you have an advanced ET dragster/roadster on alky OR using nitrous you will look like the Michelin man in a $1500 -15 suit. The -15 suits are also dated and have to be replaced on a regular basis.

This rule won't affect many of you. I run alky and had been thinking about building a new engine for my new dragster and trying some Divisional Top Dragster. Guess I won't now. I'll still build somethign new, but just keep it 7.50 1/4 or 4.50 1/8 or slower. I also noticed a post from Phillip Oakley a few days ago where he mentioned using nitrous to get his gas powered dragster down in the 4.20's. The nitrous would require the -15 suit. I know alky burns with clear flames, but racing gas will burn you just as bad. If they are going to require it for alky, it should be for gas also. I think the liability people are overboard on this one.

And lastly. This one will affect many of you.

Anything 9.99 and quicker will be required to have a full face helmet. I know many of you door car guys run the open face with a visor style.

posted by someone else on a different forum

discuss

This rule won't affect many of you. I run alky and had been thinking about building a new engine for my new dragster and trying some Divisional Top Dragster. Guess I won't now. I'll still build somethign new, but just keep it 7.50 1/4 or 4.50 1/8 or slower.

You've went better than 7.5x? Just wondering...

Guest Removed
You've went better than 7.5x? Just wondering...

yes in a dragster! but then you didnt read the bottom two line did you?

discuss

And lastly. This one will affect many of you.

Anything 9.99 and quicker will be required to have a full face helmet. I know many of you door car guys run the open face with a visor style.

discuss

Well I got the helmet thing covered - now I just need the car.

yes in a dragster! but then you didnt read the bottom two line did you?

discuss

Should have been more specific-

Has something you own, and in tern could bring out and race, gone 7.XX? Just wondering since I honestly don't know.

Does that help? ;)

kind of hard to street race a dragster! but i have seen curt.m do it with his alterd.

Maybe I missed it- but you didnt answer the question.

Should have been more specific-

Has something you own, and in tern could bring out and race, gone 7.XX? Just wondering since I honestly don't know.

Owner of a car, not a fanboy off...

They need to add a different class of cars and lower the ET requirements for those cars to have a roll cage. If they really want to be sticklers, then allow people to get a license to drive the cars and lower the ET requirement by 1+ second.

I'm sorry but the 11.5 roll cage requirement is crap when stock cars or near stock cars are doing it. Afterall, it's what the cars were built for.

Guest Removed
Maybe I missed it- but you didnt answer the question.

Owner of a car, not a fanboy off...

My old red hatch ran 7.80's on both stages.car was only legal to 8.50.