Dog talk

V8 Beast

All of this talk about dogs has made me want to go ahead and get a second dog. I'm building a fence in the spring so I think the timing is perfect. I'm 100% sure I want an american bulldog. I'm looking for one of the Allen Scott type with the longer muzzle with a slight mix of the John D. Johnson type for a little added size.

http://www.redbird.net/dhaughn/mgtrkrestr/bulldogs/images/bart%202.jpg

Has any one here dealt with Bad Bart Kennels in Marion?

Kennel Name: BAD BART KENNELS

City: Marion - State: OH - Zip: 43302

Phone: 740-361-3012

Description/Other Info: Puppies due the first of the year!!! Out of Old Hickory's BadBart and BadBart's Lady Theia. Our American Bulldogs are bred with a sound temperament, agility, great personality and in perfect match with the breed standard. We breed Scott type (Standards) and (hybrids)with NKC Registration and famous blood line (Chance from the movie HomeWard Bound) (Sure Grip Rattler).

http://ambulldog.us/

Yes they have a good rep thats where I got my dog from.. But they sell out pretty quick believe it or not american bulldogs are pretty popular in Marion. There are I think one or two more bully breed kennels up there too..

I keep thinking about getting a dog, but I may wait until I my kid will be old enough to enjoy it too. I just hate having a dog tied up in the yard all the time. Anyone know if they can actually be trained to stay in the yard? I've heard mixed info about invisible fences.

I got 5 acres also so its at least a little room to play in. I grew up on 160 acres with free roaming dogs all over.

No way in hell am I having a dog or cat in my house. Initially I like the thought of getting to play with it all the time, but the first time it damages something of mine it will be killed. End of Story.

Evan

I keep thinking about getting a dog, but I may wait until I my kid will be old enough to enjoy it too. I just hate having a dog tied up in the yard all the time. Anyone know if they can actually be trained to stay in the yard? I've heard mixed info about invisible fences.

I got 5 acres also so its at least a little room to play in. I grew up on 160 acres with free roaming dogs all over.

No way in hell am I having a dog or cat in my house. Initially I like the thought of getting to play with it all the time, but the first time it damages something of mine it will be killed. End of Story.

Evan

Don't buy a dog if that's your attitude.

They are animals, and take time to train. And even the most higly trained dogs chew up things they are not suppose to from time to time.

Pissing in your house.. will happen, things getting chewed up... will happen.. getting pissed off and frustrated with the dog will happen. You dont sound

like you have the patience, so I would suggest you dont get one.

And yes they can be trained to know their boundries, but should never be unsupervised outside.(without a fence).

Don't buy a dog if that's your attitude.

Ding ding ding. Winner.

That's one of the worst attitudes I've ever heard about a dog. This is why every form of dog purchasing should require a contraction, home visit, and follow up visit. But of course pet stores and back-yard breeders are mostly in it for the cash.

If you are a responsible breeder you'll almost never make over 40% of the cost you have into the puppy when you sell it. (there are expections but this is true 90% of the time)

My puppies I'm selling are worth $500 for males and $600 for females. We have 8 in the entire litter, we'll be keeping one male and the breeder with the stud will be keeping one dog. That leaves 6 to be given to a new home. 6x$500 = 3000. I've spent about $2000 on vet visits, medications, shots, check-out. Most of them I won't even sell for $500 b/c I'd rather sell them to good homes for cheaper than selling them to some retard that wants to kill their dogs for pissing in their house.

Do your research on the breeder! American Bulldogs are cool and so are olde english (i'm partial). You should come over and meet Guss. He is great with kids and is VERY smart. Joey's Aunt breeds top notch Olde English Bullies. I just love my dog, he makes me laugh EVERY day! His big water head ,the underbite and teeth. He's a hoot! So animated and emotional.

Brian, my vet had an American Bulldog for adoption last time I went up. I can check and see if he still has it if you want.

Please do. I would assume a vet is good with dogs. Do you know how old, and if its a boy or a girl?

BC, are there any dog parks close? We could hook up and let the dogs go crazy. I have a little pit beagle mix. Rosco is hilarious, so I think it would be a fun time.

did anyone else listen to Stern today and Scott the Engineer wanting to just give up his dog because it needed hip surgery?

My wife and I were just talking about one of her patients that spent $5k on her dog because of hip problems.

There are a lot of people out there that never adopt the mentality that a pet can be part of the family. There are also a lot of people that would shoot their dogs, or release them in a field before spending that much money on them.

Edit: Families that do not have the extra cash force the dog to suffer in a lot of cases as well.... poor dogs.

The only one I know of is up at Alum Creek

There's also a free one off Livingston Ave. and in Gahanna (I believe they moved it off of Hamilton). Also one in Westerville that I've yet to go to.

Alum Creek is a great park, it even has a separate swimming area for the dogs. Although I'm reluctant to go again b/c last time our dogs were swimming there they all came down with Giardi.

The park off Livingston Ave. was a really nice and newer park when we went last year. It just seemed like there were too many people who didn't care what their dogs were doing. A few agressive pits were harassing our dogs the entire time, we have never been back.

The Gahanna park used to be off Clark St Rd. I believe they moved it in the fall. This was my favorite park off all, of course it's a bit further, but closer than the Alum Creek park. This park always had a ton of dogs with very nice owners. Also had an agility course setup so you could try to play/teach your dog some agility moves.

I'm just giving you my experiences from these parks I've been to. I think if you are into it you should probably check them all out.

Please do. I would assume a vet is good with dogs. Do you know how old, and if its a boy or a girl?

BC, are there any dog parks close? We could hook up and let the dogs go crazy. I have a little pit beagle mix. Rosco is hilarious, so I think it would be a fun time.

I take my boys to alum creek dog park. I've never had a single problem over there. They have 2 areas. one with swimming one with out. I usally take my boys to the water area as our Golden mix loves the water.

I'm just bored lately and its winter so I"m playing along with the usual CR winter time stuff.

Now I think I was mis understood about dogs. I love them and had many of them while growing up. Dogs and cats were part of my family for 24 or so years of my life. My parents didn't allow animals to live in our house and I won't either. Its totally not a question of patience since I have more patience than probably most of you on here and most anyone that knows me personally would know that. Of course that can't be realized from threads on forums and I know that so I don't take much wrong on the internet.

Also I'd never "pay" for a dog. To me thats just crazy. Hell I might pay up to $25 for a really nice one, but my family has never paid for any of the animals we've had. We've even had a fully trained English Setter for use as a bird dog. Nice animal, but wow was it dumb. Birds was all it knew and it was great at that job. Don't take this wrong, but I was raised in farm country and consider animals very replaceable though missed when they die.

Evan