reasonable way to ship wheels/tires?

Smokey

What is the most reasonable way to ship a set of wheels/tires these days? I searched and there was a thread back in 04 where the general concensus was FedEx ground. Has anything changed since then? My only constraints are that I'd like a tracking number and it has to be delivered to a residential address (so greyhound or freight companies are out).

Also, what do you do for packaging? They have tires mounted, so can I get away with putting cardboard circles over each side and strapping (taping) 2 of them together? or do I need to buy some bigass boxes to put them in?

What is the most reasonable way to ship a set of wheels/tires these days? I searched and there was a thread back in 04 where the general concensus was FedEx ground. Has anything changed since then? My only constraints are that I'd like a tracking number and it has to be delivered to a residential address (so greyhound or freight companies are out).

Also, what do you do for packaging? They have tires mounted, so can I get away with putting cardboard circles over each side and strapping (taping) 2 of them together? or do I need to buy some bigass boxes to put them in?

When wheel and tire combinations arrive at our shop, they usually come just the way you described: cardboard circles between wheels, strapped together (usually with plastic straps and tape).

When wheel and tire combinations arrive at our shop, they usually come just the way you described: cardboard circles between wheels, strapped together (usually with plastic straps and tape).

I received new wheels (w/tires mounted) for my TA packaged just like this using UPS ground. They arrived in perfect shape, no issues at all.

Chris take them to Parcels Plus in reynoldsburg next to the walmart the guys name is Jim And will pack the hell out of them and shipping is generally standard but he is fair on charges. Tell him Mike Shepard sent you and he may cut you a deal.

I drive from grove city to there because he treats me right and is an honest guy

For wheels with tires on them 17 inches and under with a regularly low profile.... a 24 inch wheelbox will suffice (with alot of tape) and can be had at any wheelshop.

put 20x20 carboard squares (squares to make flaps that will fold over somewhat) over the face and rear, then tape em up.

Call DHL, they will come pick them up within a half hour of when you specify.

I've shipped a dozen sets of wheels thsi way... from "el cheapos" to sets that retail for 3800.00 bucks, never had one complaint.

thanks for the info guys, Mike, I'll check into Parcel Plus. I also work pretty close to the DHL by CMH so I'll check that out too.

I guess I should have stated that the wheels are 17s with 225/45 snow tires mounted on them.

I did receive a set of wheels that just had the cardboard on them and were taped together and I didn't have any issues with them, I just wasn't sure if there was some magic secret out there.