Gun Gurus please look in here and help my family.

SpaceGhost

I am in need for a very good shotgun for home defense, I need it to be very reliable and easy to use for home defense and I would like it to cost $200 or less if possible. Also I would like to buy a New gun from a dealer around Westerville New Albany area possibly Today! Where and What should I buy?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be able to get a basic Mossberg Pump for that. They're pretty good quality for the price.

Honestly, I wouldn't fear a used Remington 870 in decent shape. They'll last forever if cared for at all, and you might have better luck striking a deal on something used.

I am in need for a very good shotgun for home defense, I need it to be very reliable and easy to use for home defense and I would like it to cost $200 or less if possible. Also I would like to buy a New gun from a dealer around Westerville New Albany area possibly Today! Where and What should I buy?

Why are you in such a rush to buy a gun?

Vances Remington 870 for $279.

Not gonna get much cheaper for that nice of a shotty

IF you want cheap go there, but fuck their take a number service. Aumiller's is a really great shop in Westerville. Honestly I don't know what your firearm experience is, but Aumiller will take the time to show you the weapon of your choice. Break it down, and basic operation. Granted he may not be as cheap as Vance's, but he takes the time. For me that goes a long way, and price doesn't become a factor anymore. The remington 870 is a great shotgun as is the Mossberg 500. Both are going to be in the same $$ range, and can load 3in 12 guage shells through the tube. A cheap tac light for those is buying a surefire G2 and using the clamp. You'll have a light at the end of the barrel for about $40.

shotgun....easy to use for home defense

Contradiction. You don't want a bucket for home defense unless you got 8000sq ft.

I would like to buy a New gun...Today!

Who pissed you off? :p

If you want stopping power for home defense, scratch the 2 gun strategy, take the money and get a single .45 or .50.

Strategy man, "big and impressive" isn't going to help you in a dark hallway. Shotguns are for birds.

If you want stopping power for home defense, scratch the 2 gun strategy, take the money and get a single .45 or .50.

Strategy man, "big and impressive" isn't going to help you in a dark hallway. Shotguns are for birds.

Im not a gun expert but from what I've heard from some of the guys who are better versed on guns is that a shotgun is better for home defense than a handgun. Most notably being penetration (or lack thereof for your neighbor's sake) and a wide variety of lethal and non-leathal munitions.

Can someone tell me if Im wrong?

Contradiction. You don't want a bucket for home defense unless you got 8000sq ft.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsugh.gif

Uhhh......please don't live next to me.....ever..........

At this point, you could not GIVE me a Maverick 88. Talk about jam-o-matics.

I will ALWAYS praise the Remington 870. I have one myself. 18" smooth bore barrel, loaded w/ 00 Buck - Low Recoil. Kept loaded, but not chambered. My hope is that the sound of being racked will be enough to get the person gone.....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

PS - See if you can find a nice used bird gun, and cut the barrel yourself. Just make sure it is a MIN of 18" ;)

I have had a remington 870 since i was about 10 or 12 years old. I have probally fired easily 5k rounds thru that gun never had a single problem with it. Only thing that has ever happend is i lost the choke key for the adjustable chokes. I think i paid 150 buckes for mine and i bought it used from a gun shop. So who knows how many shots have been fired.

I honestly dont think a shotgun is a bad idea for home defense. Never been hit by a shotgun but would probally make a good beat down weapon.

Let's just say I may have had a real encounter with some Organized crime from Youngstown today at work on the phone. I'm not taking any chances wether it is real or fake. And I want another shotgun That I know will fire, I have my Grandfather's old 12 Gage but I have never put a round through it. I got it in a will more than 10 years ago, and it's more of a sentimental thing than anything.

And yes for home defense I feel you don't really need to be to "surgical" with a shotgun for home defense. I think it is hard to miss a target down a hallway with a Shotty. Not to mention just the sound of pumping the gun is a huge deterrent I think if someone is in the house. I had a coworker tell me to buy some "dragon's Breath" shells that have Magnesium in them because they burn, I don't want to burn down my house though. Is this a real shell you can buy? Thanks for the quick feed back guys.