LT1 vs. LS1

Reed44

There are plenty of different ways to get to 400whp. Here are 2 quick examples.

Ls1

Tune

75-100 shot

LT1

CAM

Exhaust

Tune

Ported heads

FIXED

Fixed again... with a good tune and a fairly agressive cam, an LT1 can make 400 RWHP off of H/C packages.

ported heads and the CC306 cam makes around 390 RWHP

My 97 Formula M6 Stock bottom end ran 12.3's on motor and 11.19's on a 150 shot. Mods were LT4 AFR 190 Heads, Ported LT4 Intake, 1.6 roller rockers, very aggressive cam, Hooker Long Tube Headers, Borla Exhaust, Moroso Cold Air Intake, BBK 58MM throttle body, MSD 6AL, MSD Coil, MSD wires, and a shit ton of suspension parts. I had a ton of money wrapped up into it.

Also of reference both my 97 LT1 cars I modified had a couple lifters blow up and my 95 that I built into a race car had something go wrong with it everytime I went to the track. Also back when I modified LT1's the goal was to make 400rwhp, that was an LT1 making some SERIOUS power. I know many LS1 push for 450+. Also keep in mind the LS1 is a lighter engine(maybe 100+ lbs) which is ALL front end weight too.

Sounds like it really isnt hard to reach my goal with either, espically the ls1. Still havent figured out what the safe max whp is for both. I do not plan to pull apart and build a motor (smokin5s). The most going into the motor I want to do is a cam and maybe heads. Mostly want to get LT,s and nitrous with a rutan tune done then work from there. (gtfosho) I am a ford guy and it just seems right to be in a mustang but its easier to make power with the f-body and the 4.6 is weak. I would get a 5.0 just to put a bbk ssi intake on it. That is the sexiest intake out there.

My old 94 Z28 went a best of 13.1@106 with shorties, catback w/ cutout and a CAI up at Norwalk, and a best of 12.89@111 with a comp XE 224/230 cam and tune with 4.10's. It was certainly quick enough to compete with the LS1 cars, but an LS1 car will always be faster mod for mod. The gap really grows once you get into internals because the LS1/LS6 heads are VASLTY superior to LT1/LT4 heads and can really take advantage of cam changes even in stock-headed cars.

The main problem IMO with the LT1 is that it is the bastard stepchild of small block Chevy's, only produced from 92-97. It was not widely used like the Gen III is in trucks and SUV's and was quickly replaced with the Gen III. The aftermarket support is non existant compared to what you can get with an LS1/LS6 or LS2. All the R&D money in the aftermarket is going to those motors, not the LT1. You're pretty much stuck with the same stuff that has been around since the late 90's if you go the LT1 route, while the Gen III aftermarket just keeps growing.

one down one more to go LT1? wow, props ls1. Thats impressive. WIsh ford could do some thing impressive with the internals on the engine.

:confused: ever heard of the terminator cobras??? all forged with a factory blower......sounds like decent internals to me and i hate over head cam motors....

:confused: ever heard of the terminator cobras??? all forged with a factory blower......sounds like decent internals to me and i hate over head cam motors....

It depends on what kind of racing he plans on doing. Mach 1's have been known to out perform cobas in the 1/4 (stock for stock). But Cobras can be turned into high hp monsters for very cheap.

well said o'rourke. But my goal numbers are low so I dont think it will come into play as much.

I was talking about the gt's. At that time of my last post I forgot about the cobra and mach 1, my mistake.

Had a '96 LT1 car- six speed, cold air intake, ported MAF, 160 t-stat, 4.10 gears, b&m ripper shifter, CAGS, exhaust dump, and other minor stuff- best of 13.9 on ET Streets, broke the rear end twice dumping that baby at 5 grand trying to eek more out of it. Probably ran that thing 50 times in the 1/4

Sister had a 99 SS LS1 car, A4 100% stock ran 13.7s on street tires listening to the radio and had never been to the dragstrip in her life.

The 8.8 rearend in the stangs is reason enough to go that route- Figure 1500-2 grand in the f-bodies for a 12bolt or 9" (not sure if they figured out abs yet or not(been out of the scene for a while) if you want to reliably run that much power.

if you go with a 99+ 4.6 or a 5.0 it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with an LS1. Also I know you know this but the 1987 to 1992 5.0 mustangs were all forged (love nitrous) 93 they went hyper like everyone else...

Had a '96 LT1 car- six speed, cold air intake, ported MAF, 160 t-stat, 4.10 gears, b&m ripper shifter, CAGS, exhaust dump, and other minor stuff- best of 13.9 on ET Streets, broke the rear end twice dumping that baby at 5 grand trying to eek more out of it. Probably ran that thing 50 times in the 1/4

Sister had a 99 SS LS1 car, A4 100% stock ran 13.7s on street tires listening to the radio and had never been to the dragstrip in her life.

The 8.8 rearend in the stangs is reason enough to go that route- Figure 1500-2 grand in the f-bodies for a 12bolt or 9" (not sure if they figured out abs yet or not(been out of the scene for a while) if you want to reliably run that much power.

if you go with a 99+ 4.6 or a 5.0 it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with an LS1. Also I know you know this but the 1987 to 1992 5.0 mustangs were all forged (love nitrous) 93 they went hyper like everyone else...

Your LT1 was sucking then. I remember GRN96WS6, when he had his car, was running an aftermarket shifter (wowzers), a K&N filter, and stock otherwise, and pulled off a 13.9 on a hot day at Trails. He "might" have had a cutout at time, I can't recall.

I never ran my near stock enough to know what it would run N/A.

Never, EVER put aftermarket gears in a 10-bolt. Huge waste of cash. You can keep ABS with the 12-bolt, 9", 8.8", and Dana rear end swaps...no biggie. The Mustangs have better rear ends stock, but their trannies suck in comparison, so it's a wash.

I didnt know that and I am glad you told me. Very important information to me. Thanks.