Daily Driver

Hwilli1647545487

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does it have to be new? or can it be used for 30k.

$25-30k buys an 04-05 Audi S4 with low miles.. maybe not the best for fuel economy, but a nice V8 and quattro

probably not the best for gas mileage but a great car.

minus the towing a new vw gti is a fun DD. chip and downpipe offers 250hp / 300ft/lbs and gets 30+mpg. I am averaging 400 miles on a 13 gallon tank. kicker is you got to get 93oct.

does it have to be new? or can it be used for 30k.

$25-30k buys an 04-05 Audi S4 with low miles.. maybe not the best for fuel economy, but a nice V8 and quattro

I just got done looking at those. The real life fuel economy is terrible. AW s4'rs are reporting 12-14mpg and maybe 16-18 if you are convervative and dont' goose it very much.

The car doesn't have much in the way of heavily overdriven 6th gear as you might expect.In 6th @ 70mph you're spinning at about 3000rev's.:eek:

I've learned from experience that turbo AWD I4 = shitty gas mileage. Sure it's only a 2.0, but boost changes everything. I'll bet your MKIV uses less gas than my WRX, when driving it easy.

I went through this same debate a year ago, only my budget was far smaller. It seems like the better the gas mileage, the more the car sucks to drive.

I miss my Tundra :(

I've learned from experience that turbo AWD I4 = shitty gas mileage. Sure it's only a 2.0, but boost changes everything. I'll bet your MKIV uses less gas than my WRX, when driving it easy.

Psst! The WRX has an H4. But anyways, the trick is to stay out of boost. A boost gauge helps a lot. My STI will get 19-20 mpg around town and 25-26 on the highway. That's better than a big truck or SUV. But I wasn't entirely suggesting a boosted Suby. The Legacy is a great daily. It's comfortable, still AWD, and comes in boosted or N/A flavors.

Otherwise, I guess there's a stipped down 128i new, or a used 3 series. Unfortunately, as copperhead said, the better the mileage the less fun the car. FWD car is where you'll find the best economy. :p

well what are you looking for in a daily? i want good mileage, comfy seats/ride/suspension, not too loud, but defintly can handle its own from light to light.

AWD isnt necessary in ohio, unless you suck at driving in adverse conditions.

gti is a great choice, and can be had used for half the money you are trying to spend.

the wrx is nice, but the mileage is OK, 25mpg at most when driven light and it runs fine on 89, no knock what so ever! and no interior space

how bout 03+ bmw 3, or 5 series? very quick, great mileage, sits low with no clearance issues. add a set of rims and your good to go!

05+ Silverado, 06+ TrailBlazer, or a 3/4 ton diesel from any of the BIG 3. I've got customers pushing well above 24 MPG with 3/4 ton diesel's towing a load or a trailer. Not to mention can seat more than 4 passangers, can get around no matter the weather conditions, makes GOBS of power, and can run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Dodge or GM would be my pick.

Educate me more on these Diesels. I don't want a HUGE truck. 4x4, extended cab, short bed.

Basically diesel's are freakin torque monsters. If you were to ever have to tow something, they'll do it effortlessly. Maintainance is kinda low, but the big thing with most diesels are the tranny's from what I've seen. Unlike gas motors, diesel's use glow plugs. Rarely do they go out, but after a good 150K atleast. The motors really break in after a good 80K on the clock, and can tick way past 200K miles. Another plus is, diesel's usually have a great re-sale value.

- You can basically get any of the Big 3 diesel's, and they're all around great trucks. Granted the Cummins motors seem to respond to mods and not to mention get a little better fuel economy.