Cost to rebuild rear diff.

BlackMess

About a week ago the rear end was locking up in my truck when i was in reverse. So i would move foward and it would free up. I have a 4 hour drive home so I figured I better get it checked out. I took it to a tranny shop here in findlay. They poped the cover off and found a tiny piece of metal on the magnet in the bottom. I signed a piece of paper that allowed them to remove and inspect the rear diff. I did not see the part where he crossed off the reinstallation part. So I get a phone call saying the rear end is not serviceable and they have to buy a whole new diff. I asked him what the metal was from and they said it was a "wear shim". I go to the shop and the mechanic told me you aren't suppose to take the diff apart but he wanted to just to see what was going on. I also asked them to tie up the calipers and brake lines so they didn't have the weight of the caliper pulling on them but he insisted to me that he knew what he was doing and it was no big deal. So here's the price breakdown.

Master bearing kit 145.63

Diff case 368.44

Brake shoes- 56.58

Fluids 24.98

LABOR= 800.00

I'm not real famaliar with rear end and was curious if this sounds like a fair price or is this guy giving me the run around. The only 2 things that seem odd to me are that the rear diff is not serviceable and the labor to me seems to be kind of high. Sorry if I went on a rant it's just these people aren't the most friendly people to deal with. Any input would be appreciated.

Guest 614Streets
His labor is high , most shop rates run from 60-80 per hour , even at 80 he is claiming ten hours. Diff case would be the actual rear pumpkin casting which is not purchased seperately , rather by a whole differential unit with axle tubes , the word diff case here is most likely refering to in an improper term , the carrier.

Guest Removed

what type of truck ? year make model. i can look it up on alldata. and double check the factory manual time for you. most are 6-8 hours.

some shops cant service some diff's. there are special tools required to service the bearings. but it really depends on what your working on.

and hanging the calipers isnt a big deal, but it does stress the hoses alot. and coat hangers or zip ties are cheap.

Guest Removed
2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4.

front right?

Differential Axle Housing

Replace

Front Axle

Chrysler 8.25" A 5.2

Dana 44, 3500LB, 3850LB Axle A 8.0

Rear Axle

9 1/4 Inch A 5.9

Guest Removed
you can rebuild the rear diff. its pays 5.9 hours to swap out all the bearings. and all are serviceable for that truck.you can rebuild the rearend in the truck! i.e all new bearings shims etc.but know i see you have diff case there and the bearings. sounds like he is rebuilding it in the truck!hes just padding the labor!

If my maths correct $800.00/5.9= $135.59..... It's just a small independent transmission shop and the only reason I went there was because I was afraid to pay dealer prices!! It sounds like I need to have a talk with him and find out how he's calculated the labor cost.

Guest 614Streets
they don't really put the right names on alot of things. like key fobs are called transmitters.

shit i had a stud last week for something that they called a retainer.

Yeah I was familar with that alot when I went to MMI , the japanese manufacturers has totally differnt names for most boat engine components when I would create repair orders the electronic system.

oh and if he is charging you 135.39 an hour then he is useing a scale. i forget the name of it right now but the more hours you have the more you charge. there are some small shops that use it and a few dealers that i have heard of that tried it and it didn't work. it can also go the other way, the more hours the less you charge per hour.

Guest 614Streets
If my maths correct $800.00/5.9= $135.59..... It's just a small independent transmission shop and the only reason I went there was because I was afraid to pay dealer prices!! It sounds like I need to have a talk with him and find out how he's calculated the labor cost.

Did you add in the flat rate time for him doing the raer brake shoes?

Guest Removed
diff case or the carrier. im thinking same thing .spider gears more then likely hurt it. but if its not hurt then its still serviceable.(spider gears and whatnot are replaceable in those)