Cost to rebuild rear diff.

BlackMess

So i asked the guy what his labor rate is and he said it ranged from 80-110 per hour. I said then how in the world are you charging me 135.00 per hour? His reply was he has a gas bill to pay, insurance, and many other expenses so he is going to charge me what he wants. He pretty much said he has my truck tore apart and unless I give he what he says my truck will sit there. I've lost all respect for the man and the shop. He couldn't even sit down and have a civilized conversation about the situation without changing the subject. I guess I learned the hard way its better to shop around like AJ said. Thanks again for everyones input.

Guest Removed
So i asked the guy what his labor rate is and he said it ranged from 80-110 per hour. I said then how in the world are you charging me 135.00 per hour? His reply was he has a gas bill to pay, insurance, and many other expenses so he is going to charge me what he wants. He pretty much said he has my truck tore apart and unless I give he what he says my truck will sit there. I've lost all respect for the man and the shop. He couldn't even sit down and have a civilized conversation about the situation without changing the subject. I guess I learned the hard way its better to shop around like AJ said. Thanks again for everyones input.

pay him his teardown fee and tow it out of there.(yes it can be done) ;)

whats the name of this shop?

Guest Removed
i good tow truck driver can sling it out of there.(towing it from the rear). and drop it in the bay of a different shop (had many towed in this way before) get you a used rear end from a junk yard. and go buy some brake shoes and hardware. and find a shop that will install above parts.(should still be 5.9 hours)and make sure you get all your parts from this other shop before you leave .

Its gonna be a lot of money to have about any shop do the job. Its kinda labor intensive and requires skill and some tools to do properly. I've done them, but I still haven't had the experience to try one on someone elses vehicle. Getting the gears set up properly is key to making sure it will last. I'd suggest finding the best warranty you can get since its an expensive job and there is a lot of room for error on the installers part.

Evan

Its gonna be a lot of money to have about any shop do the job. Its kinda labor intensive and requires skill and some tools to do properly. I've done them, but I still haven't had the experience to try one on someone elses vehicle. Getting the gears set up properly is key to making sure it will last. I'd suggest finding the best warranty you can get since its an expensive job and there is a lot of room for error on the installers part.

Evan

there not hard at all. i wouldn't mind doing more of them since there such cake.

Guest Removed

Evan

not really that bad. it sucks if you dont come close to your pinion depth the first time. (if you dont have the depth tool) but really not all that bad. gears do tend to scare most tho.

Yeah probably easy once you do them a few times. I'm just pointing out that its not as easy as swapping the bearings and driving away. Setting the gears requires precise alignment that takes a few trys to get right so a shops gotta charge for some of that. Now I suppose it would be pretty easy if only the bearings were damaged, but when the tolerances in the thousandths of inchs I'd be checking those gears very carefully for bad wear. Especially since he's driven the poor thing with it locking up.

In the 4x4 world we find the #1 reason for diff failure is due to improper set up of the gears so we tend to be very cautious when doing gear swaps.

Evan

Guest Removed
chances are dude doesnt even know what he is doing. so getting the junkyard rearend at this point is his best and cheapest bet!to bad he made the 400 mistake of taking it there first.

Guest 614Streets

Its not really convienent though even in columbus to just find a dodge ram rear end quickly. I only say that because when I did 2 rear end swaps one ford one dodge it was a waiting game before they could be found with the correct gear ratio , brakes etc.

They were not cheap either.

I think in his case its just a expensive fix but only by a couple hundred dollors.

• 3 weeks later...
chances are dude doesnt even know what he is doing. so getting the junkyard rearend at this point is his best and cheapest bet!to bad he made the 400 mistake of taking it there first.

Figured I would update you guys. Decided to come home for the weekend and when merging from 270 to 70 I hear a whine. Next thing u know I have to drive 40-50mph. Yes you called it the rear took a shit on me. Everytime I let off the gas or hit a certain rpm it whines and clunks like you could not believe. It got to the point where it actually started to hurt me ears. Only problem now is that i'm 200 miles away and not sure if it will make it back to the shop.Tow's around $550.00 and shop owner wont pay. Will the gears eventually just get torn apart and the truck will not move or do you think theres a change of making it 200 miles under its own power?