Chrysler/Dodge RT SRT8 vehicles

gaewsky1

Oh, and there are a lot easier ways (and free) to fully disable ESP, and it doesn't require any wiring or unplugging anything.

This is only kind of true, the key turn to accessory position trick only works for a very very limited number of build date cars. Also, pulling the fuse for ESP is also only applicable to very early build date cars, from when they came out in 05. Other than that the only ways to fully disable ESP are to buy a Diablo tuner ( $300) or the NoESP board ($50). The NoESP board works for every car, and is the only way to make ESP go away w/ a switch. W/ the diablo you have to go in and change your tune.... That's why I went w/ NoESP ;)

This is only kind of true, the key turn to accessory position trick only works for a very very limited number of build date cars. Also, pulling the fuse for ESP is also only applicable to very early build date cars, from when they came out in 05. Other than that the only ways to fully disable ESP are to buy a Diablo tuner ( $300) or the NoESP board ($50). The NoESP board works for every car, and is the only way to make ESP go away w/ a switch. W/ the diablo you have to go in and change your tune.... That's why I went w/ NoESP ;)

Pulling a fuse always works, but if you pull the ABS pump fuse or the ECU's fuse you will have no ABS either. It you pull the steering angle sensor fuse (present in LX's) you will still have ABS.

Not sure about the key turn to accessory, but if you turn the key to crank while driving over 20kph and wait a few seconds...

Why and then what else to look at? I can get the R/T for pretty cheap in price and they seem easy to mod. Right now the SRT8 doesn't fit into my budget.

I'll be coming from a WRX with an 18g turbo upgrade so I think the R/T should fit my needs fine. Also my wife can't drive the WRX (5 spd) but she will be able to drive the R/T. I don't want anything to crazy fast as it will be my dd.

I'm saving for a C6 Z06 so that should fill my speed needs in the very far future.

If it's primary purpose is going to be a DD, I would look at something else. They are a second slower than the SRT8 and get just as bad of gas mileage. Not to mention going from a WRX, you will feel like you are driving a tank. I would look at a Legacy, Acura TL, or something along those lines. Not to mention resale is HORRIBLE on those cars unless it's a SRT8. Have you looked into mods for them yet? Last time I checked NOTHING is cheap to mod on a MOPAR unless you get a SRT4. Like you said, you are saving for a Z06 so modding the DD really isn't necessary especially if the wife is driving it... :cool:

If it's primary purpose is going to be a DD, I would look at something else. They are a second slower than the SRT8 and get just as bad of gas mileage. Not to mention going from a WRX, you will feel like you are driving a tank. I would look at a Legacy, Acura TL, or something along those lines. Not to mention resale is HORRIBLE on those cars unless it's a SRT8. Have you looked into mods for them yet? Last time I checked NOTHING is cheap to mod on a MOPAR unless you get a SRT4. Like you said, you are saving for a Z06 so modding the DD really isn't necessary especially if the wife is driving it... :cool:

A lot of this isn't true.

Firstly, mileage on an SRT-8 and an R/T is not comparable. The R/T has a 4 cylinder mode, which is FREQUENTLY in use cruising on the freeway, the SRT engine doesn't have it at all. I know of both a charger R/T and magnum R/T owner who gets 20-22 mpg regularly, with a majority of highway driving. Not to mention the R/T engine runs on mid-grade, and the SRT requires premium. As far as mods being pricey, this was the case early on in the platform, when only a few companies were producing parts, and had a sort of monopoly on the market.

Yes, the charger will feel large, because it is. However, if you're sure to get an R/T w/ the road and track package ( different steering box, exhaust tuning, intake box tuning, suspension, brakes, wheels) , much of the steering/handling of the car will be changed for the better. There is a very noticeable difference between non-road and track packaged R/T's and those w/ it......also, if you get it, it comes with waaaaaaaaaaay nicer seats too.

A lot of this isn't true.

Firstly, mileage on an SRT-8 and an R/T is not comparable. The R/T has a 4 cylinder mode, which is FREQUENTLY in use cruising on the freeway, the SRT engine doesn't have it at all. I know of both a charger R/T and magnum R/T owner who gets 20-22 mpg regularly, with a majority of highway driving. Not to mention the R/T engine runs on mid-grade, and the SRT requires premium. As far as mods being pricey, this was the case early on in the platform, when only a few companies were producing parts, and had a sort of monopoly on the market.

Yes, the charger will feel large, because it is. However, if you're sure to get an R/T w/ the road and track package ( different steering box, exhaust tuning, intake box tuning, suspension, brakes, wheels) , much of the steering/handling of the car will be changed for the better. There is a very noticeable difference between non-road and track packaged R/T's and those w/ it......also, if you get it, it comes with waaaaaaaaaaay nicer seats too.

Really.... :rolleyes:

Even with the fuel save mode they both can get in the 20's on the hwy but that isn't going to be the norm especially if he does a lot of city driving. Like you said the people you know do MOSTLY hwy driving. Everyone I've experienced with them are getting 15ish in the city. Hemi is rated at 15/23 and the SRT is 14/20 and it's only going to be worse if he gets the AWD model. If he's got a heavy foot he can count on worse. Like I said, not great for a bigger car but then again it's a V8 so it's something to think about as a DD. You don't have to run premium in either if you want to get technical....

Parts are still expensive for what the car is. Compared to a WRX or Mustang or whatever he may have experience with, it's a more expensive car to mod. Not to mention if he does keep it for a while and wants to go quicker than 13's it gets VERY expensive to go low-12's or even 11's.

Like I said if he is use to a WRX or anything similar the car will feel like a tank. Yes, it's a bigger car but if he hasn't driven one yet he may be in for a shock if he hasn't really looked at them. IMO there are MUCH better cars out there for $30k but whatever floats your boat....

IMO there are MUCH better cars out there for $30k but whatever floats your boat....

I'm thinking closer to $19,000-22,000. I think for that money range there are many to choose from and getting a V8 with 340hp/390tq isn't a bad thing. I had a large sedan before the Subaru and miss it. I love my Subaru don't get me wrong but I just drive back and forth to work. No track at all. Plus it will give my kids more room in the back. Gets pretty tight in the WRX with two car seats.

Also Subys aren't too cheap to mod either.

x2 on the MPG's. My GXP is rated at 18/28 and I barely get 13-14mpg in the city...where I spend most of my time....with a heavy foot. Now I can 28mpg on the highway in DOD mode, but by the time I get to where I'm going the overall average will drop from there. My wife can get 16-17mpg in the burbs, but she may as well be driving a Corolla given how she drives my car. :o

Really.... :rolleyes:

Even with the fuel save mode they both can get in the 20's on the hwy but that isn't going to be the norm especially if he does a lot of city driving. Like you said the people you know do MOSTLY hwy driving. Everyone I've experienced with them are getting 15ish in the city. Hemi is rated at 15/23 and the SRT is 14/20 and it's only going to be worse if he gets the AWD model. If he's got a heavy foot he can count on worse. Like I said, not great for a bigger car but then again it's a V8 so it's something to think about as a DD. You don't have to run premium in either if you want to get technical....

I'm thinking closer to $19,000-22,000. I think for that money range there are many to choose from and getting a V8 with 340hp/390tq isn't a bad thing. I had a large sedan before the Subaru and miss it. I love my Subaru don't get me wrong but I just drive back and forth to work. No track at all. Plus it will give my kids more room in the back. Gets pretty tight in the WRX with two car seats.

Also Subys aren't too cheap to mod either.

You may like the Charger then. I was under the impression you were looking for NEW. In that case, I would also look at a TrailBlazer SS also if you don't mind American cars.