Thoughts on 87 octane on a low boosted car.

thorne

Well if it was tuned for 87, you probably won't see much gain going to 94 without a retune. Whereas if you're tuned for 94 and go with 87 without a return you'll see a big difference (if the engine doens't knock itself to pieces.)

Better safe then sorry. Plus I paid for gas in gift cards, so it didn't matter :D

I know that the Omni was actually designed to run on 87, recommended in the owner's manual and on the gas flap. Even though it was a turbo, I saw very little difference in milage or anything of the sort from running cheap 87 to Sunoco 94.

Not only won't see a gas mileage difference, but also you will see a decrease in horsepower, really pointless to put 94 in a factory tuned car tuned for 87 octane.

Jackson

I'm curious on how well I my tune on the wrx would stand up to a protuner. Would any protuner be willing to help with my expeirment. I'm really curious but not enough to pay a ton for a couple hp.

It has been my expierence, that the reason "protuners" are called "protuners" isn't becuase of the crazy amount of horsepower they can get on a given set-up. They are called that, because the car is extremly smooth, no bucking, and generally doesn't blow up. Generally, tuners spend 2-3 times the amount of time tuning a nice transitional map (really smooth, non-bucking) than they do on actually get the horsepower. Get Horsepower is the easy part, making it pull like an oem car with no spiking and bucking is the hard part.

agian, my .02

Jackson

It has been my expierence, that the reason "protuners" are called "protuners" isn't becuase of the crazy amount of horsepower they can get on a given set-up. They are called that, because the car is extremly smooth, no bucking, and generally doesn't blow up. Generally, tuners spend 2-3 times the amount of time tuning a nice transitional map (really smooth, non-bucking) than they do on actually get the horsepower. Get Horsepower is the easy part, making it pull like an oem car with no spiking and bucking is the hard part.

agian, my .02

Jackson

I agree 100% that was my very first problem when i started. I only tuned for WOT so I would have spots were the boost would quickly change. It really made drivablity suck because 1 second your at a nice tame 5 psi. Next your at 12.

One of the things I wish I had was a easier way to smooth out maps. I spend hours on my basemaps trying to get them as smooth as i can across the board.

Its not just smooth 2d has to be smooth 3d and that makes things more complex. Do the higher end software do any type of cell smoothing for you or do you have to do it all by hand?

God I wish I had real time tuning

You know I used to be like I would never want a car that takes premium as a daily but if you think about it the price difference Isn't that much. Consider a 20 gallon tank and a price difference between 87 and 93 of 20 cents that's only four bucks more per fullup. And let's say you fill up four times a month or once a week that is 16 dollars. Its really not that much more thinking about it and not worth tuning to 87 IMO.