My first real attempt at shooting the Orion Nebula

Tractor

Took 10 30 second frames through telescope and FINALLY got the stupid stacking software to work.

Took the shots under tungsten light balance to reduce the background light from the city lights. The undesired effect is it turns the image much more blue then it would normally be, but I think it brought out a lot more detail that I would have otherwise had trouble getting from Central Ohio.

Now can't wait until I learn how to not overexpose stars in 5 minute shots:-)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/M42resized.jpg

Evan

I'm way up in Marengo about 20 minutes north of Polaris, but most things move across the sky and drift into Columbus's skyglow. I get the best shots of objects in the South-Southeast. What I really need is to get down to a star party in West Virginia again.

Evan

Ah sorry. The Orion Nebula is a cloud of gas/dust in the constellation of Orion (right at the bottom of the sword.) Mostly hydrogen, oxygen, sulfur for the gases. had I done a 30 minute shot of it with true white as the balance I would have gotten red, blue, and green colors all over the nebula.

The telescope is a Celestron C-8 on a CG-5C mount. Similar to this http://www.celestron.com/c2/images/files/product/11026-XLT_c8sgtxlt_large.gif

The scope itself is about 19 years old and I've had it since I was 10. The old mount was pretty unstable and the computer system was from the 1980's so you can imagine how weak it was. The new mount is awesome in comparison and the computer can guide without perfect polar alignment and point to over 40,000 objects with just a few button presses.

Evan

That nebula can be easily seen in 50mm binoculars or a 40-50mm telescope. Actually if you were out on a ship or other place away from light you could see it without a telescope, but the lack of any magnification makes it look like a red/blue area in Orion's sword.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars sells lots of stuff from starter telescopes to professional grade stuff. I've been wanting to have a look through those Meade scopes they sell in Walmart. Meade and Celestron have always been the big names in lower end professional gear and now Meade sells cheapies for everyone. Some of them even have computerized mounts which I'd like to see work.

Evan