Richard Zednick HOCKEY!!!

Farley

Anyone else watch hockey?

...watch dude almost died... they said if he wouldnt ahve skated to the bench he wouldve died...

watch later in the video for the goalie..

sorry its in french.. its the only video that actually showed it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4XjbWRX4wGE

That is an amazing story. Complete freak accident. When that goalie got cut, 9 people fainted and 2 had heart attacks in the crowd. 3 players on the ice vomited. The medic that saved him served in Vietnam. He ran out and pinched off the artery. He didn't remove his fingers till the last of the 300 stiches where done. Both of these guys could have easily became the 3rd player in NHL history to die from an injury on the ice.

The Buffalo Sabres goalie that got his neck cut back in the day is Clint Malarchuk and he happens to be the Blue Jackets goaltending coach.

There's an article in today's Dispatch about Malarchuk.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bluejackets/stories/2008/02/12/zednick0212.ART_ART_02-12-08_C1_N59B5G8.html?sid=101

Thankfully Zednik is ok!

Zednick started pouring almost immediately after the initial contact. He's one lucky bastard to survive. At least someone acted instead of everyone running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I wonder how Jokinen is feeling in regards to all this?

Zednik is in stable condition and is able to talk. He lost 5 pints of blood, if it wouldn't of been for the staff the HSBC Arena he probably wouldn't of made it. He is still one tough S.O.B. being able to skate 3/4 of the ice to his bench before collapsing. One hell of a freak accident thats for sure. It just crazy both times that it has happened has been with Buffalo somewhere in the picture.

I play hockey and yeah, that is ridiculous. Now, your link also does not work anymore.

I'm kind of dissapointed this happened because now they are going to bring back the NECK GUARDS to younger leagues. That was misfortunate and not much would have helped him seeing as how sharp those pros get their skates sharpened. I think thats the first time that has ever happened.

I play hockey and yeah, that is ridiculous. Now, your link also does not work anymore.

I'm kind of dissapointed this happened because now they are going to bring back the NECK GUARDS to younger leagues. That was misfortunate and not much would have helped him seeing as how sharp those pros get their skates sharpened. I think thats the first time that has ever happened.

its happened at least once before a goalie was hit in the neck as well.

Second. But your right, they will bring back neck gaurds for alot of younger players and leagues. You have to figure parents and players are already spending a couple hundred for equipment, why not spring for the extra 40$ or so for a piece that might actually save a life? Its just like face cages, i wear a cage and dont know how other guys in my league can go without one. I dont get paid enough to lose my teeth in a rec league :D

i dont even wear a cage .

Are you already ugly? If so, there's nothing to lose! :p

at least he had the present of mind to get the the medic.

[gurgle]Put me back in coach![/gurgle]

Watch, he'll be back at practice by the end of the month. I'm amazed he could skate that far. That spurt of half a pint essentially came straight FROM his brains good blood supply.