So who's cooking tonight?

excell

We kinda had a valentines plan thread, but I thought I'd get more specific. Who's cooking up a nice dinner tonight instead of eating out? What are you making?

I'm doing a couple NY strips marinated in olive oil, fresh black pepper, and garlic. Sides are creamed spinach and jalapeño scalloped potatoes. For desert, molten chocolate lava cakes and Kahlua cookies and cream milk shakes. All from scratch. :D

Tonight I'll be cooking sirloin, turkey, chicken, meatloaf, stuffing, mashed potatoes, redskin potatoes, steamed vegetables, green beans, corn, spinach, macaroni and cheese, salads, cinnamon apples, sweet potatoes, coleslaw, soup, sandwiches, cornbread, cookies, etc.

I'm a cook and I have to work tonight. :(

We kinda had a valentines plan thread, but I thought I'd get more specific. Who's cooking up a nice dinner tonight instead of eating out? What are you making?

I'm doing a couple NY strips marinated in olive oil, fresh black pepper, and garlic. Sides are creamed spinach and jalapeño scalloped potatoes. For desert, molten chocolate lava cakes and Kahlua cookies and cream milk shakes. All from scratch. :D

So your cooking all of this ?

anyone say gay disaster ?

I made baked talapia with garlic seasoning and butter, with romaine lettuce salad and sliced mushrooms.

That sounds pretty good! I love tilapia, it'll take just about any flavor you put on it. One of my favorite ways to make tilapia is with lemons encrusted in salt. You basically lay it out with thin lemon slices over a thick bed of kosher salt, then more lemon slices on top and cover the whole thing with more salt and then bake it. The salt cracks off and the meat in the middle is FANTASTIC.

Pretty basic, I wish I could cook and that we weren't so picky.

Cooking is easy. Try a few fun recopies and before you know it, you'll be creating your own stuff. :)

I'm lucky on the pickiness, I'm not picky at all and my fiancée isn't either. She's only a little weird about meat, I have to make sure I cut off any large amounts of fat (which I do anyway, except for nice steaks). Occasionally she won't like the "look" of a piece of meat and she'll cut that part off. But otherwise, I've worked her spice tolerance up to my level so I can make things as I want to eat them. :D

That sounds pretty good! I love tilapia, it'll take just about any flavor you put on it. One of my favorite ways to make tilapia is with lemons encrusted in salt. You basically lay it out with thin lemon slices over a thick bed of kosher salt, then more lemon slices on top and cover the whole thing with more salt and then bake it. The salt cracks off and the meat in the middle is FANTASTIC.

I'm gonna try that next time. The only reason I enjoy cooking so much is A. gets you laid and B. I'm a pig!

Excell edit: Oops, hit edit and not reply. :(

I'm gonna try that next time. The only reason I enjoy cooking so much is A. gets you laid and B. I'm a pig!

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes for a small-medium filet, or up to two hours for a whole fish. If you don't like it to be very lemony (I love lemon) then leave out the lemon and just do it in the salt, then at the end after you've broken off the salt crust just squeeze some lemon juice onto it. Also, drizzle a little olive oil on the meat after you've broken off the salt. You will cry.

I'll be over at 8 :)

Just thought of one more tilapia (or any mild white fish, grouper, etc.) recipe you might dig. Make a foil grilling wrap and coat the inside with sesame oil. Chop 1 small head of bokchoy and 1 red bell pepper (sliced thin and long) and put them in the wrap. Add the fish on top of the bokchoy/peppers and sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper. Add coarsely chopped scallions and orange zest. Mix 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 1.5 teaspoons rice vinegar, and 2 teaspoons ginger then spoon over the mixture. Close up the foil bag and grill.

Serve that up with some coarsely chopped carrots or whole string beans sautéed with a bit of oil and any spicy peanut-sauce recipe (look for one with chili pepper or chili sauce in it) and you'll get laid for a week.