Lunar eclipse tonight

AJ

http://www.spaceweather.com/

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2008/28jan08/chat_bubble_icon.gifTOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE: Tonight the full Moon over Europe and the Americas will turn a delightful shade of red. It's a total lunar eclipse—the last one until Dec. 2010. Exactly when should you look? Click here for an animated timetable.

As explained in a recent

Science@NASA story, red isn't the only color to look for when the Moon glides through Earth's shadow. Observers of several recent lunar eclipses have reported a flash of turquoise. For example, note the upper left corner of the above photo taken by Jens Hackmann during the European lunar eclipse of March 2007.

The source of the turquoise is ozone. Earth's ozone layer absorbs red sunlight while allowing blue rays to pass. This has the effect of turning Earth's shadow turquoise-blue around the edges. Look for it during the first and last minutes of totality (10:01 pm EST and 10:51 pm EST).

I gotta get a few more adapters to be able to take good pics of Saturn. I watched the eclipse, but my scope is to powerful to get the whole moon in a single frame. I'd have to buy some more expensive focal reducers to be able to fit it in and I'm not spending $300-500 just to take a pic of the moon.

I did however use the dark sky created by the eclipse to take a bunch of shots of a galaxy. I'll be processing them over the next couple of days and we'll see what I got out of them.

Evan

Nope I got a few shots before it started, but the moon bores me. I stopped giving it serious attention when I was probably 11 or 12. I had intended to take a series of shots throughout the cycle to create a pretty neat image, but I got bored with it and started shooting nebula and galaxies. I also did a couple 20 sec video's of Saturn to use the frames for learning a processing technique I've been reading about.

Evan