Air Compressor Recommendations

hpfiend

Hey all,

I have heard I need at least 80 gallons, with a 2 stage pump, 5 hp? Overkill?

I don't plan on running any painters or anything- I just want to be able to run air tools properly for crank bolts, suspension stuff, and rear-end work. This would be in a residential garage- Could have 240 but only single phase.

One mechanic at a time (me) or my dad.

80 gallons is more than likely overkill for most do it yourself type jobs. I have a craftsman 33 gallon one and while it does cycle more often it seems to get the job done rather well.

+1

i got a 60 gal and it's overkill. I only got it because i got a good deal on it.

hmm- well that will save me some money!

will the 33 gallon 5.5 hp oilless single stage husky let me run 700 ft-lbs with my mac 1/2" impact gun? I don't know the CFM it requires right now but I can barely remove lug nuts with it right now- it probably maxes around 95 ft-lbs with our wimpy little compressor.

I would not buy an oil free compressor they are loud as fuck mine drives me crazy I would get the biggest compressor that fits comfortably in your garage a twin stage oil bath compressor will be much more quiet and the larger tank size you run the longer you can hold higher pressure on your air tool wich allows it to deliver more torque consistently. I have a little garage so I have the biggest compressor I can fit wich is an oil free 30 gallon it gets the job done but I have to wait on it sometimes if I'm running a die grinder or an air drill...... moral of this long ass post the bigger compressor you buy the happier you'll be

Die grinders ,dual action sanders, and air hammers will wear out a small compressor. In general, If you are working on cars the smaller compressor will work. Truck work requires a big dog. That Mac impact will eat up air on tough bolts, those 700 lb ft come at the cost of mass air volume.