hope this comes to the States

morabu

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10808

DAMN i would buy this in a minute if they sold it here from day 1

70mpg and all the benefits of diesel motors and electric motors

i still do not understand why US automakers or the Gov't doesn't make a HUGE push toward diesel cars

diesel/electric is so much better than gas/electric

i still do not understand why US automakers or the Gov't doesn't make a HUGE push toward diesel cars

have you seen the price of diesel? I'll pass.

have you seen the price of diesel? I'll pass.

Did you actually put any real thought into this statement?

Using the VW provided, let's do a little math.

Equivalent US Golf gets approx. 26 mpg

Hybrid Golf - 69mpg

Let's say for ease of use, current unleaded is $3/gal. Diesel is $3.35.

Let's give the VW a 15gal tank.

Now:

US VW can go 390mi for $45

Hybrid VW goes 1035mi before fillup for $50.25

So, you're telling me that you're not willing to pay $5.25 more per tank of gas to drive an extra 645mi. Almost 3 times the distance of the US VW for $5 at tank?! How can you not justify it?

I would say the only major deciding factor will be the cost of the diesel/hybrid vs the regular gas engine. If the package costs 6-7k more dollars then the gas version more be a little harder to justify the incresed cost. If you can get the diesel/electric for 1-3k more then the gas then hell yeah bring on the diesel.

Emissions.

Did you actually put any real thought into this statement?

Using the VW provided, let's do a little math.

Equivalent US Golf gets approx. 26 mpg

Hybrid Golf - 69mpg

Let's say for ease of use, current unleaded is $3/gal. Diesel is $3.35.

Let's give the VW a 15gal tank.

Now:

US VW can go 390mi for $45

Hybrid VW goes 1035mi before fillup for $50.25

So, you're telling me that you're not willing to pay $5.25 more per tank of gas to drive an extra 645mi. Almost 3 times the distance of the US VW for $5 at tank?! How can you not justify it?

If you're gonna do math, get it right. Lets say you drive 15,000 miles a year, which is pretty much average for any given car. To drive that much at 70 mpg you'd need about 215 gallons of gas, which at a diesel average cost of $3.35 equals $720.25 spent on gas over the course of the year.

Now lets turn to the unleaded version. Driving 15,000 miles at 26 mpg requires roughly 575 gallons of gas. At 3 bucks a gallon, that's $1725, just about $1000 more a year spent on gas.

Now consider that hybrid cars generally cost around 20% more than their normal counterparts, so lets say you're getting a BASE Rabbit at around $16k. Lets say for evenness's sake that the hybrid starts at $20k. With $4k difference, you've got to be averaging 70mph for 4 straight years before you break even. I'll choose the "gas guzzler" instead of investing in a temporary solution (hybrid technology) that will be replaced either by full-electric or hydrogen cell motors in the next ten years.

Emissions.

Volkswagen is looking to bring the two camps together and will unveil a diesel-electric hybrid version of its popular Golf hatchback (known as the Rabbit here in the U.S.) in Geneva. According to the German automotive giant, the Golf Hybrid will achieve 83.9 MPG (Imperial gallons) which is roughly 69.9 MPG here in the U.S. Carbon dioxide emissions are also limited to just 89g/km.

The diesel engine used in the Golf Hybrid meets all Euro 5 emissions criteria and also passes the stringent Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards here in the U.S.

:confused:

You are right.

Semi's run on air.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

actually it's true, diesel fuel is a byproduct of the refining petrolum. When we refine petroleum for gasoline we are making diesel fuel as well. because the the ratio of tractor trailers vs. gasoline cars is so low, our usage does not even come close to the using what diesel fuel we produce. So we end up selling it to other countries on the cheap, because we have a surplus.