How to clean baked on brake dusted wheels.

Chadz89GTA

I recently purchased a set of 10 spoke SS wheels and the clear seems to have brake dust baked into it as well as some rust trickle from where it sat under something that was rusting. The wheels themselves are in decent shape except for a scrape here and there. I'm wondering whats the cheapest way I can get these cleaned, and if I can't I guess I'm f'ed I dropped my last few hundred on them and won't put them on my car with the shape there in. I'd rather pick some steelies up at the junkyard and trade the junkyard man. Any help is appreciated. I'm also aware wheel medic does this kind of thing but I'm trying to stear away from paying 100$ a wheel for wheels I paid 325$ for total. Once again any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Guest 614Streets

I would call your nearest Malco rep or take them into any detail shop and get them cleaned. The Malco rep or Jax wax will have sutable wire wheel cleaners and small nylon brushes.

If you are weary of acid , and some people are there are non acid based cleaners available.

http://www.malcopro.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=116&category_id=43&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=101

Hopefully if tomorrow is nice, I'm going to try some simply green and a few other things my brother suggested that I don't already have. I've never seen this kind of nastiness on a set of wheels. I already have about 30-35 wheel cleaning products and they usually get the job done, well not this time I'm gunna have to get something more drastic.

Just repaint then it is not hard. I have done wheels with a can and a can of clear that no one could tell. The key is the prep

If it were going to be an easy clean I would have done it, but if it's going to cost me more money then say $50 bux it's not what I was wanting when I purchased them. This is getting worked on at the moment and I'll post in here and the sellers thread when I get an answer.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

you can repaint them for say $12 so I am confused ......

But you still have to buy the prepping supplies etc.. When I first purchased the wheels I was told they we need a LIGHT cleaning, not prepped and painted. So theres no way I'm going to put anytime or money into these I'm just going to try and get my money back. Theres a big difference betweens light cleaning and say, prep and paint work.. It also doesn't help that I have no garage.

the point is, they were supposed to be ok and only needed cleaned. if he has to strip and paint them, why put in all that work when the seller said they only needed cleaned. He shouldn;t have to.

I will send him a pm back. I don't know if I totally agree with whats being said here but I will try and discuss things with him.

I will send him a pm back. I don't know if I totally agree with whats being said here but I will try and discuss things with him.

All I know is what was said in your thread and what he's told me:

I wiped the one on the right off with a wet towel. So they will clean up fine. No damage!

If he has tried to clean them up and they won't clean easily or the clear is damaged, then that doesn't mean "So they will clean up fine. No damage!" as you stated in your post. It means he has to put in extra work or cost to get them back to presentable shape.

I don't see how that would mean damaged. I only cleaned one. He had the oppurtunity to check out the rest or have me clean the rest before he paid me.

So it's his fault for believing you and not cleaning them right there on the spot? Interesting..... What an awesome seller attitude.