BMX riders...explain something to me

1Quik7

i've been out of riding for a few years, like 10, haha....anyways thinking about getting back into it this spring. i have a pretty rare Basic frame that i'll prolly build if i can find enough parts, since it's "mid-school" it still has the 1" frame so some parts might be kinda hard to track down if i get picky.

anywho, have a couple questions...after looking at newer frames and bikes, it seems they either have 1 brake or none, and my old companies like Standard only offer jumpers....is that what people are switching to? i ride mostly flatland with some street on the way to and from parking lots.

also, what are drivers? i keep seeing all sorts of different hubs that are called drivers and spring-loaded something or other...i'm not sure i understand what they do exactly. just wanna make sure it's worth building my old frame or getting newer gear.

drivers are part of a Casette hub. Its the ring on the out side that drives the wheel. Profile used to make these back in the day and were very exspensive but now they are cheaper and way more durable.

For flatland, I wouldnt suggest this but people still use the freecoaster "Old tech" but it works there are just to many flatland riding options out there. brakes all around, no brakes, one front brake no free coaster ect.

There are tons of options out there I havnt touched my bike since going on "Props" Mega tour last spring. I do regret getting off my bike but it was the best option for me as I'm in school now learning and hopefully graduate to earn money to survive on.

For any parts and best guys around and I used to ride for them. "I'm still family" check out www.albes.com Tell em shanton Wilson sentya. and if you mention exploding penguins while ordering the parts you get free shipping.;)

For flatland, I wouldnt suggest this but people still use the freecoaster "Old tech" but it works there are just to many flatland riding options out there. brakes all around, no brakes, one front brake no free coaster ect.

Free coaster is old school....hahaha!!! I am getting old I remember when that was invented. BMX Plus and Freestyle had the ad in the mags. I cant remember who the rider was that promoted for them, he had a huge head of hair. Of course I remember when Stu Thompson was winning races on a Huffy too.

If your bike is 1 inch headtube get a newer frame with 1 1/8 internal or at least threadless. The old bikes suck but are fun to restore and collect..here is of of my restore projects 87 pro performer with HP 48s

http://www.members.aol.com/igetmadim/gtperformer.jpg

If your bike is 1 inch headtube get a newer frame with 1 1/8 internal or at least threadless. The old bikes suck but are fun to restore and collect..here is of of my restore projects 87 pro performer with HP 48s

http://www.members.aol.com/igetmadim/gtperformer.jpg

I still have an 86 Haro Sport

drivers are part of a Casette hub. Its the ring on the out side that drives the wheel. Profile used to make these back in the day and were very exspensive but now they are cheaper and way more durable.

There are tons of options out there I havnt touched my bike since going on "Props" Mega tour last spring. I do regret getting off my bike but it was the best option for me as I'm in school now learning and hopefully graduate to earn money to survive on.

For any parts and best guys around and I used to ride for them. "I'm still family" check out www.albes.com Tell em shanton Wilson sentya. and if you mention exploding penguins while ordering the parts you get free shipping.;)

haha i had no idea Albe's was still in business, ordered a few things from them back in the day...mostly from Dan's and Mental Jimmy's, i had a Graveyard freecoaster radial laced 48 that cost me like $200 back in the day lol.

that's cool, i thought maybe the "driver" hubs offered something different.

prolly just stick with my "mid-school" Basic frame, already had a guy offer me $300 for it, so might just keep it aroiund for a little while and get a new powdercoat.

Guest Removed

i have a 94 S&E P.K.RIPPER XL/PRO i custom built for jumping.(i was always good at over jumping shit! like at cobra on s high i could almost land the first big jump on the back side of the next double!

d.k stem , powerlite pars, black widow 180mm 3 peice crank, 46t spocket, never rust chain, big axle hubs. and i was always bad about breaking rims! cracked some t1000's and even alot of 48 spoke wheels. every now and again i get it down and ride it! was thinking of selling it, but hell i got over 1200 in that bike!

i've been out of riding for a few years, like 10, haha....anyways thinking about getting back into it this spring. i have a pretty rare Basic frame that i'll prolly build if i can find enough parts, since it's "mid-school" it still has the 1" frame so some parts might be kinda hard to track down if i get picky.

anywho, have a couple questions...after looking at newer frames and bikes, it seems they either have 1 brake or none, and my old companies like Standard only offer jumpers....is that what people are switching to? i ride mostly flatland with some street on the way to and from parking lots.

Whats riding 'flatland'?

I miss riding alot. I use to be big into it when I live on Long Island, you would be surprised how much woodland is on LI. there were dirt trails EVERYWHERE. So I guess if I wanted to clasify it I rode trails/dirt?? I was just in it for fun so I really didnt care.

I'd LOVE to get back into riding but damn after looking at that website Shanton posted, things are expensive these days.

flatland is harder then fuck, alot of balance to be spinning around and shit....i ride street because as long as you have a solid bike and know a few basics you can have fun....my fat ass+10 stair drop= brand new rims before i put it away...alex triple j's............check out http://www.danscomp.com

i buy most of my shit there

flatland is harder then fuck, alot of balance to be spinning around and shit....i ride street because as long as you have a solid bike and know a few basics you can have fun....my fat ass+10 stair drop= brand new rims before i put it away...alex triple j's............check out http://www.danscomp.com

i buy most of my shit there

So... is that another language because i think I understood like every third word :)

I figured flatland was "stunt" riding. I remember watching it on Xgames, it looks hard as fuck.

Maybe I'll look into getting back into it.

So... is that another language because i think I understood like every third word :)

I figured flatland was "stunt" riding. I remember watching it on Xgames, it looks hard as fuck.

Maybe I'll look into getting back into it.

flatland is "stunt" riding it just uses alot of balance and you need to be fairly flexible...if you were going to get into it i would look into downloading or buying the circle of balance dvd. it goes over all the basics of flatland and some of the more complex tricks/chains....... :asshole: alot of flatland riders dont use a crank or pedals just a straight bar through there bottom bracket because they use inertia and tire kicks to keep up speed...its to complex for me to explain, i can do a few basic tricks, but if you want to watch a good video watch circle of balance......

flatland is "stunt" riding it just uses alot of balance and you need to be fairly flexible...if you were going to get into it i would look into downloading or buying the circle of balance dvd. it goes over all the basics of flatland and some of the more complex tricks/chains....... :asshole: alot of flatland riders dont use a crank or pedals just a straight bar through there bottom bracket because they use inertia and tire kicks to keep up speed...its to complex for me to explain, i can do a few basic tricks, but if you want to watch a good video watch circle of balance......

No i was meaning more in general of getting back into biking. I agree flatland looks hard as hell as well as very technical. While it would be fun to learn something new Im not all that interested in getting into that aspect of riding. More interested in getting back into just goofing off on a bike, trying a little bit of everything but not neccessarily just one thing. And more or less using it as transportation too. I remember when I was a kid I'd go out on my bike at 10am, wouldn't be home until dark, out riding all day didnt matter where as long as I was with my friends and on my bike. Those were the days.

No i was meaning more in general of getting back into biking. I agree flatland looks hard as hell as well as very technical. While it would be fun to learn something new Im not all that interested in getting into that aspect of riding. More interested in getting back into just goofing off on a bike, trying a little bit of everything but not neccessarily just one thing. And more or less using it as transportation too. I remember when I was a kid I'd go out on my bike at 10am, wouldn't be home until dark, out riding all day didnt matter where as long as I was with my friends and on my bike. Those were the days.

i still go out in the mornings and ride all day when i get the urge....me and a few buddys head into lima or ft wayne and ride street all day when we get a chance...much like you i just goof off for the most part and learn a little bit of every thing!

also, what are drivers? i keep seeing all sorts of different hubs that are called drivers and spring-loaded something or other...i'm not sure i understand what they do exactly. just wanna make sure it's worth building my old frame or getting newer gear.

just buy my redline... has 1200 in it...will sell for 300

Oh man i remember the days when I used to ride. I had a maroon Standard STA frame with an s&m fork stem and bars, primo hubs and I forget what rims I had but they were black tripple walls. 3 piece crank. It had everything, it was a beast I beat the piss out of that bike and it never broke.

i remember envying Nick so fuckin much when he would put on a lil show outside of the pool I went to. seriously all my friends would stand by the fence and watch him put on a little show, and then talk about it for the rest of the day and try doing the same shit.....Nick, you were fuckin sick!!!!