Bye Bye Rotary....Hello LS1

Linc5.0

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Yep, while we tried to organize a CR day at Nelson and it somewhat flopped, the more the merrier. We usually just drive up and back the same day as well to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm still not really sure how we're going to get all the stuff there this time though as we normally have at least 1 M3 going and you can stuff them full of tools/canopy! Now, we'll have the 996 and 3 FDs (which can fit about a cooler in them and nothing else).

-edit, Thorne's taking the canopy!!

I think it's $130 this year.

I'd flush the brake fluid and make sure you've got pleanty of pad...that's about all you need until you start to progress.

+1 on Thorne taking the canopy :) (I normally have to lug it up there)...I"m gonna try to fit 4 wheels and tires in the 996 for the drive, no worries I'll take pictures of that feat.

Price and what does my car need to have?

$125. You'll need to have a helmet, long sleeve t-shirt (which they rarely enforce) and jeans.

As far as your car....tough question. You could go into huge detail or barely anything on that question, so let me know if you need more info. You just want to make sure that you have good life left on your brake pads, bleed the brake fluid. Obviously fix any oil or coolant leaks that may exist. Torque down the wheels and make sure you have plenty of tire for the day as well. It's all pretty common sense there. Since you know your car better than anyone else, just look things over and try to address any weak points that you think might be an issue after 20-30 minutes of hard driving.

Nelson is a fairly fast track, and heavy cars EAT pads.

I also suggest brings a 300 piece or something tool set, I had my manifold start to back off creating a hell of a leak, and fixed that, then I had by battery tie down break, all fixed and no harm done.

hummm...I must be doing something wrong at Nelson 'cause I think it's relatively easy on brakes compared to most tracks. I guess maybe you have to have motor to need those brakes!!!

and where are the pics? :)

I think it helps that you just don't slow down for the corners ;)

I went a different route for a more reliable fast RX7 and swapped a 3 rotor in it. It makes great HP at relatively low boost, sounds great and unique. It is a little more expensive than the ls swap you are talking about, but I wanted to stick with a rotary. I'll be on vacation on 6/20 but was planning to to to Nelson on 6/27. I friend w/ a late '80's turbo 911 is coming with me.I would love to ride with the other rx7's but just can't make 6/20. Good luck with the LS swap...as with any swap there are always lots of little bugs to shake. I'm still try to shake a few.