Brake woes

TheHaze

I spent some of today working on my mother's brakes. The subject is a 2000 Honda Civic. The problem occurs when you apply pressure to the brakes while traveling over 25mph or so.

I believe the term for what is happening is the brakes are "pulsating". At a certain spot of the rotor-rotation, it forces the brake pedal back up and back down again. Obviously, when traveling quickly it feels much quicker on the pedal, constantly pulsating up and down. Now, I assume it's the rotors because it only happens while braking and I replaced the pads today and it still occurs. The reason I'm asking is because I took the rotors off and they didn't appear warped at all. Also, I'm sure the problem is with the front brakes. Before I buy new rotors, could it be anything else?

probably not. you probably also wont be able to see if the rotor is warped. my sister has a 2002ish sunfire that the brakes were pulsating. she called me and said "i need new brakes", so we go buy pads, then she tells me the pedal is pulsating. i drive it, figure its the rotors, get it apart...pads still decent (i could have sworn i did them when she got the car w/ 40k miles...66k now), so we got new rotors...

when she went to take me home, she said she thought she was slipping on ice because her brakes were so smooth. saod hadnt had the brakes feel that smooth in a while

warping- runout in a rotor can be felt in the thousandths of an inch range so its not going to be anything you'd see. if you hit the brakes and the sterring wheel shakes its in the front, if you feel it in the seat then its usually the back. Aj could cut em for you or you could go an buy new ones for 20ish bucks and be done with it.

Guest Removed
you can take the rotors off and bring them to me so i can turn them for you. warped rotors are a common thing.

plus 1!

rotors front or rear will do it. i have even seen drums do it.

That's what I thought. It's extremely violent when it happens. I thought about resurfacing them but they're so damn old and rusted on the edges, that I'm just gonna pick some new ones up. Thanks mangs.

if it has drums in the back you can always apply the parking brake and most of the time you can feel it if there is a warped drum. depending on the park brake set up if it has rotors then you may be able to test it that way as well.

if it has drums in the back you can always apply the parking brake and most of the time you can feel it if there is a warped drum. depending on the park brake set up if it has rotors then you may be able to test it that way as well.

Yeah, I did that. That's how I knew it was the front.

On a side note, It never occurred to me that Honda's jackpoints are the tow hooks.

On another side note, stripped rotor screws are assholes. I had to buy 2 different screw extractors and both only worked once and I broke one.

On another side note, stripped rotor screws are assholes. I had to buy 2 different screw extractors and both only worked once and I broke one.

you can buy an impact screw driver for like 10 bucks from sears it looks like a giant metal screw drive only you hit it with a hammer while turning to get the screw loose

I'd buy new rotors can't be more than 15-20 bucks each

• 2 weeks later...
you can buy an impact screw driver for like 10 bucks from sears it looks like a giant metal screw drive only you hit it with a hammer while turning to get the screw loose

I'd buy new rotors can't be more than 15-20 bucks each

Impact screwdriver usually works really well, otherwise a grinder or cutoff wheel turned sideways will make quick work getting the heads of the screws off then you can grind down the remaining bolt when you get the rotor off. These are always a pain the ass, they are only there for assembly during production, most cars don't have screws but those little clips you have to cut off the first time on most other cars. I never put any of this crap back when I do customers cars, hell some cheap rotors don't have holes for them anyway.

I always put the screws back on unless the rotor doesn't come with holes.

Aside from using a real impact driver, you can just use a screw driver and a hammer. Just smack the screwdriver while trying to turn, works 70% of the time every time.

I always put the screws back on unless the rotor doesn't come with holes.

Aside from using a real impact driver, you can just use a screw driver and a hammer. Just smack the screwdriver while trying to turn, works 70% of the time every time.

To each his own.