Thoughts on Changing Jobs ???

Jackson1647545504

Would anyone trade a job that has a high level of security for one which has better working environment, better job duties, but a little less security and benefits.

Thinking of leaving OSU for a place that is still affiliated with OSU but its not a state/govt. position.

Thoughts?

its all about the franklins. If you have better job security thats always a plus i would go for that job. Worrying about a new job your just about to start is never a good thing. I could be way off base but I wouldnt like to go to a job for only a few months. Again its all about the money!!!!

I would certainly trade a job with certain benefits and drawbacks for a different job, with different benefits and drawbacks. Thanks for asking!

Sorry for the lip, it's early. If you ask me, go where you have upward mobility and where you actually enjoy and are proud of the work you do. Forget about the pay, convenience, or 'friendliness' because those things come and go on a regular basis.

The way things are....money talks. A lot of people are doing things they don't like doing, but it pays well and they are comfortable. If you can do it and survive....go for it.

the thing about doing a job your not happy with is that well your at your job an ass load of time and if your not happy with the work you do there then your gonna be unhappy a lot of the time.

the thing about doing a job your not happy with is that well your at your job an ass load of time and if your not happy with the work you do there then your gonna be unhappy a lot of the time.

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in the world works at a job that they aren't happy with and they do it because they get paid to do it.

I can think of a few things I'd rather do for a job, but they won't pay me well enough to do it and/or I'd have to make moves/sacrifices that are not worth it in the end so I compromise and just fix office equipment. At least I'm at an easy company to work for.

If the deal is better then I'd say take the other job. This is Columbus Ohio there are plenty of jobs and no one should consider there self stuck forever.

Evan

Would anyone trade a job that has a high level of security for one which has better working environment, better job duties, but a little less security and benefits.

Thinking of leaving OSU for a place that is still affiliated with OSU but its not a state/govt. position.

Thoughts?

I've been debating the same thing. I work for Columbus State. My job is uber secure, but I've had offers of $20k more in the private sector. Is it worth it? Right now, I'm banking on no. Traditionally, as the economy slumps colleges fair quite well. The private sector, not so much. I'm not willing to risk it yet. Once the economy picks back up, then I'm going to seriously think about it again.

Depends on what you're priorities are and what you're really looking to achieve in life. I don't know your background or skills but the way I see it, if you can take the worst, you can take the risk.

I remember a quote the owner of my old company used to say....but didn't write.

“Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. That's why it's our job to step up and be leaders."

I'd go for it and then some. Good luck.

It depends on your industry. If you are in IT, 2-5 years is about as long as you want to stay with an organization, unless you are happy with your salary.

I move every 1 - 3 years for atleast 30% raise. I am interviewing again...

Remember my rules, No job is secure, you are a prostitute working for the highest bidder, never stop learning.

Sales FTW....because no matter how you slice it, every organization is essencially a sales driven company...and the earnings are pretty much limitless if negotiated correctly :)

It depends on your industry. If you are in IT, 2-5 years is about as long as you want to stay with an organization, unless you are happy with your salary.

I move every 1 - 3 years for atleast 30% raise. I am interviewing again...

Remember my rules, No job is secure, you are a prostitute working for the highest bidder, never stop learning.

Sales FTW....because no matter how you slice it, every organization is essencially a sales driven company...and the earnings are pretty much limitless if negotiated correctly :)

I worked for Ohio Department Of Job and Family Services. They don't have a sales department.

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in the world works at a job that they aren't happy with and they do it because they get paid to do it.

I love my job. If I no longer had a financial need to work I would most likely continue to do my job. I do not want a promotion. I do not want to work somewhere that I would make more but enjoy my job less. I have no interest in doing anything other than what I am doing right now. Not sure, but I think Kyle Bacon has the same opinion about his job too.