Leasing Question

gaewsky1

I've got a buddy who is pretty upside down (about $4,000) on his current financed car. He needs a larger car 4-5 seats instead of 2. So, he is thinking of leasing a new vehicle and rolling that 4 grand into the lease. He isn't worried about the payments on the lease because they should be lower than his monthly now.

He thinks this way at the end of the 36 month lease he'll not be upside down and can just give the leased car back and purchase a used car without the negative equity. He currently is having trouble selling his car but needs the larger car quickly.

Any thoughts?

his thoughts are correct, but the amount of negative equity he can roll into a new car lease is likely going to be 110% of the sticker. it will depend on the leasing company and his credit.

I've got a buddy who is pretty upside down (about $4,000) on his current financed car. He needs a larger car 4-5 seats instead of 2. So, he is thinking of leasing a new vehicle and rolling that 4 grand into the lease. He isn't worried about the payments on the lease because they should be lower than his monthly now.

He thinks this way at the end of the 36 month lease he'll not be upside down and can just give the leased car back and purchase a used car without the negative equity. He currently is having trouble selling his car but needs the larger car quickly.

Any thoughts?

Being $4k upside-down makes me wonder about his credit rating. Hard to "hide" $4k negative.

Why? Very few people ever put money down. If it's a pretty new car and he just took out the note, 4k flipped is quite common. 1500 of that negative is probably taxes.

Negative Equity can happen to anyone regardless of credit rating.

Why? Very few people ever put money down. If it's a pretty new car and he just took out the note, 4k flipped is quite common. 1500 of that negative is probably taxes.

Negative Equity can happen to anyone regardless of credit rating.

In this person's situation where he needs to upgrade to a larger car or suv from a 2 seater, with the rebates and discounts due to fuel prices being offered, he can probably roll the $4k pretty easily. But you'd be surprised as to how many people actually do put money down vs the ones that don't. Whether it's a finance or lease. It's still about the payment with the majority of people, and most will empty their bank account to achieve that payment that they can "afford".

His credit is actually really good. The car has been his only mistake. Bought a Dodge quickly got upside down with that purchase and rolled it into a car he really wanted at the time. Now he needs the larger car, hence the lease. He can't keep his current car to much longer.

my recommendation.. keep the car he has and pay off that 4k negative before getting into another car... it's never a good idea to get a loan out for more than the car is worth....

He cant keep the car and this is why he wants to lease. He knows he has to pay it so why not roll it into a lease, pay lower payments than he has now and at the end of the lease agreement have the negative paid off. So on a new purchase he goes in without any excess baggage.

In this person's situation where he needs to upgrade to a larger car or suv from a 2 seater, with the rebates and discounts due to fuel prices being offered, he can probably roll the $4k pretty easily. But you'd be surprised as to how many people actually do put money down vs the ones that don't. Whether it's a finance or lease. It's still about the payment with the majority of people, and most will empty their bank account to achieve that payment that they can "afford".

Send some of those people my way. I would say 10% put money down on a finance deal at our store. People are more apt to put money down on a lease, because lease payments are advertised with X amount down PLUS tax, title and aquisition fees.

Lease loan to value advances are much lower compared to buying. 4k will be tough to roll on a lease.

then have him get a used vehicle... no sense in going new... especially when he owes so much... get something bigger that he can drive until he can get his payments done... I don't care what anyone says... rebates and everything are built into the price... you aren't getting any favors.

then have him get a used vehicle... no sense in going new... especially when he owes so much... get something bigger that he can drive until he can get his payments done... I don't care what anyone says... rebates and everything are built into the price... you aren't getting any favors.

So are you saying to roll the negative into a used car? That is what he did last time. He's trying to do away with the negative altogether and thinks it would be faster with the lease, also gets a new car in the deal. Or are you suggesting he just buys a larger used car and keeps his current one.

Statements like these crack me up. Rebates are built into the price? There is a price and then there is a rebate. I know it's hard, but I know you can keep up.

You have New car buyers and Used car buyers. There are pros and cons each way. You just have to find the situation that works best for you.

the advice to buy used is a sound one. very few cars with the exception of say Toyota or Honda are smart moves to finance new.

in his case, he's certainly NOT going to lower his payments carrying $4k in neg. equity.....not easily. on a 3yr lease, depending on the variables of course, that's about $120-$130mo in payment alone vs on a longer term buy at say $80-$90mo.

what is likely making up his neg. equity now is a combination of interest from his original loan, profit the dealer made on the used car initially, and the depreciation of the car over time since he bought it.

all that said, he should see what altnernatives are available to him. I don't have all the details on what situation he's in now or what his long term goals are.

leasing is cool, but he'll have to cover some or all of the neg. equity in some fashion.

if he has gap insurance a horrible car fire accident due to a faulty fuel line might just be the answer :D Did I say that :o

Sold for 3.5 years myself, have helped a number of family & friends buy cars. Where I worked, I'd say at least 30-35% put money down on cars and probably 10% of the cars I sold were paid in full, so my experience with negative equity situations was pretty limited. I don't buy new cars nor have I personally had negative equity in any car I've ever owned, so can't really help there either.