The truth about gas prices

Science Abuse

There's really no need to reply to this, it's very simple and requires no discussion:

Gas is a neccesity, the world doesn't function without it. Commerce dies.

Gas prices go up, because they are allowed to.

Gas prices will continue to go up as long as they are allowed to. Period.

Those controlling the fuel know that it is needed, and that people will pay pretty much whatever they charge for it. We need it.

The fuel industry has a solid record of unscrupulous activities in the interests of protecting their profits. Why is it a surprise they they have corrupted our leaders and are profiting off of our fiscal misery?

They charge what they do because they can, Period.

Want to change it? Remove control of the oil from them. Period.

I want oil in the hands of companies and I don't want someone to "remove" it from their control. They charge what they want because they can, yes. If the control you'd like to see is something like a government control over its use then that would be very annoying and bad for everyone except the few who don't drive and never will. If our government controlled oil the next thing they would feel obligated to do is make it fair for everyone via controlling who, what, when, how, and why you get to use it. That means the end of life as we know it. That may be fine for you, but I like to be able to go out in my cars and make oil companies rich by just driving for the sake of driving.

This is America "Land of the free if you can afford it," for everyone else there are government hand outs:-)

Evan

Super Hal: I LOLed.

Everyone else: Oil price is driven by supply and demand. /thread

Get a clue. Oil inventories rose 10% last week. What happened to the price of oil? Record highs everyday.

It's not supply and demand anymore...

And just who are 'they'? You guys are completely delusional if you think that companies scattered all over the world all conspire just to get a few extra dollars out of you from selling their oil. You can play armchair analyst all you want but the bottom line is that Oil companies sell at the MARKET PRICE. Repeat after me, class. MARKET PRICE. It's a limited resource, if not enough people are willing to pay it, the price goes down, and if too many people are willing to pay it, the price goes up. Right now, too many people are willing to pay for it, and guess what, the price goes up accordingly.

Please please PLEASE remember what your economics teacher taught you on the first day of class, before you run your fingers off complaining about nonsense.

And just who are 'they'? You guys are completely delusional if you think that companies scattered all over the world all conspire just to get a few extra dollars out of you from selling their oil.

OPEC

Time to get a clue, guys. OPEC is less than a tenth of the problem. Oil companies aren't even the worst of the issue.

The biggest driving force behind rising prices is SPECULATION. Commodities speculation has caused over 80% of the actual rise in prices.

Companies, charities, private parties and governments buy huge lots of oil futures and sit on them, driving the price up. It's the safest bet on the market right now.

The only way that prices are gonna come down is if the oil market takes a dump. If it does, then prices could easily come back down to $30-$40 a barrel, where they were in the mid nineties. Problem is, that ain't gonna happen.

So get used to bending over, or go kill a broker.